- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 2 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 1, 2005
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Universal Studios
Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
Packaging: Snap Case With Slip Sleeve
Original Theatrical Version And Extended Version
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital Surround 5.1 - English, French
Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Music Highlights
- Audio Commentary - 1. Taylor Hackford - Director
- Stepping Into The Part
- Ray Remembered
- A Look Inside Ray
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 2004 -
Best Actor: Jamie Foxx
Rolling Stone - 11/11/2004
"Foxx's fierce, funny, deeply felt performance deserves to be legendary....Foxx rides this winner to glory."
New York Times - 10/29/2004
"[A] satisfying picture....[With] Mr. Foxx's inventive, intuitive, and supremely intelligent performance."
USA Today - 10/29/2004
"RAY could not have been made without star Jamie Foxx....His portrayal of Ray Charles is such a landmark in making the difficult look natural that you won't talk about anything else when you exit the theater."
Los Angeles Times - 10/29/2004
"One of the striking things about RAY is the way Foxx's performance gives the uncanny impression of watching the real Charles reliving his life on screen. The actor makes us believe that what's in front of our eyes really happened."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/05/2004
"Foxx feels his way into every groove and tremor of that voice -- the sheer locomotive power of it, and the shades of gravelly tenderness, too."
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 12/01/2004
[T]he musical numbers are superbly handled. The sound is extraordinary..."
Uncut - 02/01/2005
"Built around a magnetic performance by Jamie Foxx....[He] brilliantly inhabits Ray's mannerisms..."
Sight and Sound - 02/01/2005
"Foxx's performance is superb in its naturalism and meticulous in its attention to detail....The music provides the most straightforward pleasure in an enjoyable and straightforward film..."
African Americans |
Music (General) |
Pianists / Pianos |
R&B / Soul |
- Theatrical release: October 29, 2004
- Ray Charles passed away on June 10, 2004, before the film received a theatrical release.
- A classically trained musician, Jamie Foxx actually played the piano throughout the film, though the original Ray Charles recordings were used.
- During shooting, Jamie Foxx wore special eye gear that literally made him blind.