The Dirty Dozen (Special Edition) (2-DVD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$17.51 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.78 (28% Off)|
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 23, 2006
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Warner Home Video
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.77
- Dolby Digital 2.0 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Subtitles - English, French, Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- "Operation Dirty Dozen"
- "Armed and Deadly: The Making of The Dirty Dozen"
- "The Filthy Thirteen: The Story of the Real Dirty Dozen"
- "Marine Corps Combat Leadership Skills"
- Jim Brown - Cast
- Trini Lopez - Cast
- Stuart Cooper - Cast
- Colin Maitland - Cast
- Keith Hyman - Producer
- E.M. Nathanson - Novelist
- David J. Schow - Film Historian
- Bonus Movie - "The Dirty Dozen: Next Mission"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Ernest Borgnine, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Robert Ryan, Charles Bronson, Donald Sutherland, George Kennedy & Trini Lopez|
|Directed by||Robert Aldrich|
|Edited by||Michael Luciano|
|Screenwriting by||Lukas Heller & Nunnally Johnson|
|Composition by||Frank De Vol|
|Produced by||Kenneth Hyman|
|Director of Photography:||Edward Scaife|
"...Brimming with excitement and humour, yet also staying resolutely honourable to its storytelling..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
"Any movie with Telly Savalas as a psychotic named A.J. Maggott is already halfway home....[A] red-meat classic..."
"[I]t's a relentless work -- violent, funny and deeply cynical."
4 stars out of 5 -- "Robert Aldrich's gleefully nasty, willfully daft action adventure is ageing well."
3 stars out of 5 -- "A new twist -- in its time -- on the war movie....It's a good cast..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
They are convicts, psychos, lunkheads, losers - and champs at the box office and in movie lore. Decades after it burst onto the scene, The Dirty Dozen remains a milestone among ensemble action flicks.
Lee Marvin portrays a tough-as-nails major volunteered in the Army way to command a squad of misfits on a suicide mission against Nazi brass. Charles Bronson, Jim Brown, John Cassavetes, Trini Lopez, Telly Savalas, Donald Sutherland and Clint Walker are among the 12 jailbirds who will earn their freedom if they survive. And Robert Aldrich (The Longest Yard) directs, blending anti-authority gibes with explosive excitement. Nominated for four Academy Awards, The Dirty Dozen won for Best Sound Effects.
The film is studded with standout performances, including Telly Savalas as a religious psychopath with a febrile animosity toward Germans and John Cassavetes in an Oscar-nominated portrayal as an insubordinate, poison-tongued hothead. Ernest Borgnine, Donald Sutherland, Charles Bronson, and football legend Jim Brown further round out the impressive collection of talent. Aldrich, who by the time of THE DIRTY DOZEN had been fathoming the darker side of life onscreen for more than a decade (KISS ME DEADLY, WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO BABY JANE'), scored a huge hit with this rousing thriller laced with a stinging cynicism perfectly in tune with the increasingly skeptical tenor of the times.
- Color by Metrocolor; shot in Metroscope and blown up to 70mm.
- Filmed in Aldbury, Herfordshire and Borehamwood Studios, UK. Began shooting April 25, 1966. Released in the USA June 15, 1967. Shown at the Museum of Modern Art, New York City November 19, 1974, and then again June 29-30, 1980, as part of the series "John Cassavetes: Filmmaker and Actor."
- The song "Einsam" also by Sibylle Siegfried.
- Additional cast: Tom Busby (Milo Vladek), Al Mancini (Tassos Vladek), George Roubicek (Private Arthur James Gardner), Dora Reisser (German Officer's Girl), Stuart Cooper (Roscoe Lever), Colin Maitland (Seth Sawyer), Thick Wilson (General Worden's Aide), and Robert Phillips.
- Additional credits: Julian Mackintosh (production manager), Alan McCabe (camera operator), Angela Allen (continuity)
- Rated BBFC 15 by the British Board of Film Censors.
- DVD Special Features: Behind the Scenes Featurette, Trivia and Production Notes, Theatrical Trailer.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 144 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 44,969
- UPC: 012569679214
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Top ranking DVD:
- The Decade You Were Born: The 40s - A Decade of War & Invention (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 60s - A Decade of Hope & Promise (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 50s - A Decade of Change in America (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- Pit and the Pendulum (1961) / Tales of Terror (1962) (DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE