- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 8, 2004
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Universal Studios
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound - English
- Dolby Surround Sound - French
- DTS 5.1 Surround Sound - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary
- "From Father to Son: Passing Along the Pastime"
- "Newly-Discovered Deleted Scenes"
- "The Diamond in the Husks"
- "Galena, Illinois Pinch Hits for Chisholm, Minnesota (A Walk Through Moonlight Graham's Hometown)
- "A Look Inside FIELD OF DREAMS"
- "Bravo's From Page to Screen -- FIELD OF DREAMS"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"If you build it, he will come."
- an unearthly voice heard by Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner)
"Oh, you're from the Sixties. Get out! Go back to the past while you can!"
- reclusive writer Terence Mann (James Earl Jones) to Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner)
"I am pitching to Shoeless Joe Jackson."
- Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner)
"Do you think I'm crazy'"
- Ray Kinsella (Kevin Costner) to his wife Annie Kinsella (Amy Madigan)
New York Times - 04/21/1989
"...A work so smartly written, so beautifully filmed, so perfectly acted, that it does the almost impossible trick of turning sentimentality into true emotion..."
Entertainment Weekly - 07/26/1996
"...A labor of love for all concerned, and their sincerity and enthusiasm are suprisingly contagious..." -- Rating: B+
Los Angeles Times - 04/21/1989
"...FIELD OF DREAMS is about as heartfelt a movie as any major studio has given us recently..."
USA Today - 09/24/1993
"...Uniformly appealing acting..."
Total Film - 05/01/2000
"...It's tight, gripping, and a bit moving too..."
Premiere - 07/01/2004
"[T]his is a magical, moving experience, featuring a rare filmic glimpse at the serene beauty of Middle America."
In this film that epitomizes the American love for baseball, Ray Kinsella, a struggling Iowa farmer (Kevin Costner), obeys a mysterious voice in his cornfield that tells him to replace part of his crop with a baseball diamond, resulting in the magical meeting of baseball heroes from the past, including Shoeless Joe Jackson, and the seven other Chicago White Sox players who were suspended for purposefully losing the 1919 World Series. Even after building the diamond, Ray continues to hear voices, and seeks the help of a hermit-like author in sorting out the mystery, which allows the confrontation of ghosts of other sorts.
Kevin Costner plays a former Sixties idealist who runs a farm in Iowa with his wife and young daughter. After hearing a mysterious, heavenly voice one day, Costner turns one of his cornfields into a baseball diamond. Of course, everyone thinks he's crazy, but in time "Shoeless" Joe Jackson and other ghostly outcasts, who had previously languished in a sort of baseball purgatory, show up to play the game they still love. Soon men from all over the country join them at this baseball shrine, some just to play with the greats, others to mend the broken relationships they had with their fathers -- But all are trying to get back in touch with simpler times through the purity of America's grandest game.
- The baseball playing field created for the movie still stands in Iowa as a popular tourist attraction. The field is actually owned by two different farmers, and they have competing souvenir stands.
- From November 18 to December 15, 1994, MCA/Universal offered this video for $5.99 through a special promotion with participating McDonald's restaurants.