- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 14, 1998
- Originally Released: 1997
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Collectors Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Music-Only Track
- Additional Release Material:
- Behind the Scenes
- Production Interviews: Cast & Crew
- OFF THE RECORD
- PHOTO PITCH
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- TV Spots/Previews
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Interactive Tour: THE L.A. OF L.A. CONFIDENTIAL
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I admire you as a policeman, particularly your adherence to violence as a necessary adjunct to the job."
- Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell) to Bud White (Russell Crowe)
"There's blood on your shirt. Is that an integral part of your job'"--Lynn Bracken (Kim Basinger) to Bud White
"Do you enjoy it'"--Lynn Bracken
"When they deserve it."--Bud White
"Did they deserve it today'"--Lynn Bracken
"I'm not sure."--Bud White
"Off the record, on the QT, and very hush-hush."
- Sid Hudgens (Danny De Vito)
Academy Awards 1997 -
Best Adapted Screenplay: Brian Helgeland & Curtis Hanson
Academy Awards 1997 -
Best Supporting Actress: Kim Basinger
USA Today - 09/19/1997
"...Savory color schemes provide a vibrant backdrop for L.A. Confidential....Spacey puts the pride in snide and is a joy to watch..." -- 3 1/2 out of 4 stars
Entertainment Weekly - 05/30/1997
"...L.A. Confidential brings the rancid thrill of corruption crackingly alive..."
New York Times - 09/19/1997
"...Resplendently wicked L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is a tough, gorgeous, vastly entertaining throwback to the Hollywood that did things right..."
Los Angeles Times - 09/19/1997
"...A dark, dangerous and intoxicating tale of big trouble in paradise, smartly done with the blackest possible humor..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 09/19/1997
"...There are convincing characters here....Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce are two Australian actors who here move convincingly into starmaking roles..."
Total Film - 04/01/2004
"[A] crime classic. Faithful in spirit to James Ellroy's grimy masterpiece....Irresistible but deadly."
Wall Street Journal - 11/18/2010
"[T]he style is delicately ironic. Curtis Hanson directed a flawless cast..."
Big City |
Essential Cinema |
Film Noir |
- Theatrical release: September 19, 1997.
- Filmed in and around Los Angeles and Hollywood, California.
- Curtis Hanson and Brian Helgeland wrote seven drafts of the script before settling on the final version.
- L.A. CONFIDENTIAL included 80 speaking parts and used 45 different locations.
- Both Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce are Australian. Hanson specifically chose lesser known actors to play these roles while filling the role of James Vincennes, the celebrity cop, with a well-known star, Kevin Spacey.