- Subtitles: English, Spanish
- Rated: Not Rated
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: May 20, 2003
- Originally Released: 1930
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono - English, Spanish, French
- Subtitles - English - Closed Captioned
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 11/18/1985
"...It's a splendid entertainment....The film's look and feel seem way ahead of its time..."
USA Today - 05/30/2003
"...It comes off as one of the better early talkies..."
Sight and Sound - 08/01/2008
"This is a wagon-train movie with Wayne's scout at the center....It's interesting to see his persona in this embryonic form....What's really compelling is the authenticity of the wagon train's journey."
Description by OLDIES.com:
One of the first big-screen Western epics, The Big Trail helped establish a then almost unknown John Wayne as the "Duke." In this sweeping pioneer adventure, a courageous young scout (Wayne) leads hundreds of settlers across treacherous cliffs, through brutal snowstorms, Indian attacks and buffalo stampedes to their destiny out west. Along the way, he loses his heart to a beautiful pioneer woman (Marguerite Churchill) whose love he never stops trying to win. Tyrone Power Sr. also stars in this visually spectacular classic that remains one of the greatest movies of its genre.
Pioneers heading for Oregon endure the hardships of weather, unfriendly strangers and internal strife in this sophisticated early sound film. Featuring John Wayne in his first starring role, this straightforward Western tale is now overshadowed by its place in history as an early example of Fox's widescreen Grandeur process, its naturalistic sound, and prototypical Wayne performance.
- Film debut for actor John Wayne.
- Additional cast: David Rollins(Dave Cameron), Russ Powell (Windy Hill), William V. Mong (Wellmore), Dodo Newton (Abigail), Jack Peabody (Bill Gillis), Marcia Harris (Mrs. Riggs), Marjorie Leet (Mary Riggs), Emslie Emerson (Sairey), Frank Rainboth (Ohio Man), Andy Shufford (Ohio Man's Son), Gertrude and Lucille Van Lent (Sister's from Missouri), and Alphonz Ethier (Marshall).
- Shot in a 70mm widescreen process called Fox Grandeur.
- Film reportedly cost $2 million to make.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 67 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 7,544
- UPC: 024543075356
- Shipping Weight: 0.24/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item