- Rated: PG-13
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 2 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: September 15, 1998
- Originally Released: 1998
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Snap Case
- Dual Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1- English
- Dolby Surround - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Alternate Scenes: Deleted Scenes/Outtakes
- Isolated Audio Track: Score
- Documentary: Visual Effects
- Production Interviews:
- Alanis Morissette
- Peter Gabriel
- Goo Goo Dolls
- John Seale - Cinematographer;
- Lilly Kilvert - Production Designer
- Brad Silberling - Director
- Dana Stevens - Writer, Charles Roven - Producer
- Brad Silberling - Director, Lynzee Klingman - Editor
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 07/??/1998
"...Cage's performance [is] at once intense and ethereal..."
Entertainment Weekly - 09/18/1998
"...This New Agey take will still engage the heartrings of any mortal with the teensiest desire to believe..." -- Rating: B
Box Office - 06/01/1998
"...It succeeds, thanks to Nicholas Cage's lovable puppy-dog-eyed appeal..."
Los Angeles Times - 04/10/1998
"...CITY OF ANGELS does a haunting job of creating a lifestyle and a look for its heavenly creatures..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 04/10/1998
"...[Ryan is] sunny and persuasive....This is one of her best performances....There are revelations in this story..."
Based in part on Wim Wenders's 1988 film, WINGS OF DESIRE, this is the story of Seth (Nicolas Cage), an angel who wanders the Los Angeles area invisible to humans. As someone's death approaches, he spends time near that person and becomes visible while acting as traveling companion during the trip to the great hereafter. His discovery of a distraught heart surgeon, Maggie (Meg Ryan), inspires him to forego his immortality and exist on earth with her as a feeling and mortal entity.