Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 26, 2011
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Additional scenes
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.39
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Box Office - 01/01/2001
"...Well manufactured and attractively shot, it has a believable storyline..."
Hollywood Reporter - 11/07/2000
"...Arresting cinematography....The film is technically adroit. The spaceship and Martian surface have the true grit one imagines space travel a half-century from now might be like..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 11/10/2000
"...Val Kilmer is convincing..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/30/2001
"...It's a glorified B movie in the best sense of the term..."
Space Opera |
- Theatrical release: November 10, 2000.
- Filmed on location in Jordan and Australia. The Australian locations were near Coober Pedy, the same site used for the filming of PITCH BLACK, and the Jordanian locations were the same used for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA.
- RED PLANET is the directorial debut of Antony Hoffman, whose previous experience had been in commercials. He spent months at Houston's Johnson Space Center doing research for this film.
- This film was originally titled MARS, but that was changed to avoid confusion with MISSION TO MARS. RED PLANET's release date was also pushed back from spring 2000 to avoid competition.
- Much of the filming took place under sweltering conditions; the spacesuits had built-in cooling systems to keep the actors from overheating.
- First-time director Anthony Hoffman was given editing advice by directors Tony Scott and Luc Besson.
- There were 750 special effects shots in the film.