- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 1 hours, 41 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: February 2, 1999
- Originally Released: 1987
- Label: Lions Gate
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Single Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 12/03/1986
"...THE BIG EASY is a snappy, sassy battle of the sexes..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/21/1987
"...Screenwriter Daniel Petrie Jr. sets up the conflict, and director Jim McBride fleshes it out with devastating, sexy assurance..."
Total Film - 04/01/2004
"Teeming with sultry sex appeal....Always enjoyable."
Premiere - 06/01/2005
"[Quaid] brims with charisma..."
In this steamy, spicy mystery a prosecutor is sent to New Orleans to investigate police corruption. All the evidence points to a Cajun detective she falls in love with immediately, and though the trial forces him temporarily off the squad it doesn't stop him from investigating the case or from seeing her.
A hood's murder triggers a bloody gangland drug war, and a smooth-talking New Orleans detective is assigned to find out who's behind it. A tangled web of evidence, half-truths, and family secrets begins to point to higher-ups in his own department, but he refuses to believe it -- that is, until he meets his match in an assistant district attorney from the north.
She's in town to investigate allegations of police misconduct and quickly senses what's going on. Repeatedly clashing with the detective, she urges him to face the truth and stand up to his responsibilities as an officer of the law. Sparks fly almost immediately between the two, and a romance follows soon thereafter. Once he has come around to her way of thinking, they join forces and solve the crime together.
Law / Lawyers |
Love Story |
Theatrical Release |
- Shot in New Orleans, Louisiana; color by DeLuxe.
- Jim Garrison, one-time Kennedy assassination conspiracy theorist (see "JFK" directed by Oliver Stone, 1991), makes a cameo in the film as a judge.
- The film inspired a TV series of the same name, premiering on the USA cable network August 11, 1996.
- Soundtrack available on Antilles records and tapes.
- Rated BBFC 18 by the British Board of Film Censors.