- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 22 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 5, 2004
- Originally Released: 1994
- Label: Castle Rock
- 2-Disc Set
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.78
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Surround 2.0 - French
- Dolby Surround 5.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Frank Darabont - Director
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Featurette: SHARKTANK REDEMPTION (Spoof)
- Interactive Features:
- Interactive Menus
- Scene Access
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- DVD-ROM Features:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"I'm a regular Sears and Roebuck"
- Red (Morgan Freeman), the man on the inside who "knows how to get things"
"First you hate 'em. Then you get used to 'em. After long enough, you get so you depend on 'em. That's institutionalized."
- Red, referring to the prison walls
"The funny thing is--on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook."
- Andy (Tim Robbins)
Premiere - 04/01/1995
"...[The pairing of Freeman and Robbins] sparks moments of true grace and emotion..."
Rolling Stone - 10/06/1994
"...Undeniably powerful and moving..."
New York Times - 09/23/1994
"...A slow, gentle story of camaraderie....THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION has its own brand of iconoclasm..."
Entertainment Weekly - 04/07/1995
"...Extremely satisfying entertainment....[A] provisional masterpiece..." -- Rating: A-
Chicago Sun-Times - 10/17/1999
"...THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION creates a warm hold on our feelings....It is deeper than most films; about continuity in a lifetime based on friendship and hope..."
Total Film - 08/01/2000
"...Robbins and Freeman are superb, the dialogue sparse and poetic..."
When an innocent man is sentenced to life in prison for murder, he thinks his life is over. However, despite years of brutal incarceration, his indomitable spirit makes him an inspiration to everyone he encounters.
Essential Cinema |
Prison / Prisoners |
- Theatrical realease: September 23, 1994.
- Shot in Ohio and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
- The script didn't originally call for a black man in Morgan Freeman's role. However, director Frank Darabont thought it would be funny not to cut a line that seemed to indicate the original intentions: When Tim Robbins's character asks Morgan Freeman why he's called Red, Freeman answers, "Maybe it's because I'm Irish," then gives Robbins a quizzical look and a wink.
- The role of Tommy Williams (played by Gil Bellows) was originally intended for Brad Pitt.
- Darabont's following film, THE GREEN MILE, is also based on Stephen King tale involving a prison setting.