- Rated: PG
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 3 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 20, 1999
- Originally Released: 1989
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.78
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 3.0 - French
- Dolby Digital 4.1 - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Film Highlights
- Cast & Filmmakers' Bios
- Trailers: Theatrical
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- DVD-ROM Features:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Rolling Stone - 01/25/1990
"...The action scenes are excitingly staged....Audrey Hepburn is incandescent..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/1987
"...[ALWAYS] manages the not inconsiderable feat of making us realise the truth of one man's pain..."
USA Today - 12/22/1989
"...Passionate, technically smooth....Both intimate and spectacular..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
Los Angeles Times - 12/22/1989
"...Dreyfuss and Hunter are one fun couple, matching cute for cute, spunk for spunk..."
Steven Spielberg directed this romantic remake of the World War II film A GUY NAMED JOE. A daredevil firefighter pilot, Pete Sandich (Richard Dreyfuss), dies after saving fellow flyer Al (John Goodman), leaving behind his soulmate, Dorinda (Holly Hunter). Pete, in ghost form, "wakes up" six months later when an angel, Hap (Audrey Hepburn), instructs him to somehow resolve his relationship with Dorinda. Pete must selflessly and silently encourage Dorinda to overcome her grief with the help of a new love.
High Flying |
Love Story |
Tear Jerker |
- Theatrical release: December 22, 1989.
- The film was shot in Montana and Washington State.
- Musician J.D. Souther has a small role in the film as a singer in the bar scene.
- Before casting Audrey Hepburn, Spielberg first considered Sean Connery for the role of Hap.
- Audrey Hepburn made her final screen appearance in ALWAYS.