Johnny Cash The Best of Johnny Cash - 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$7.41 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.57 (26% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Loretta Lynn ~ 20th Century Masters - The Millennium Collection: The Best of Loretta Lynn ~ $8.34
- by Tom Jones ~ The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection ~ $4.48
- by Johnny Cash ~ The Legend of Johnny Cash ~ $6.74
- by Johnny Cash ~ Ring of Fire: The Best of Johnny Cash ~ $5.97 (Save 25%)
- Released: May 21, 2002
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Mercury Nashville
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel includes: Johnny Cash (vocals, guitar); Waylon Jennings (vocals).
Producer: Jack Clement.
Compilation producer: Andy McKaie.
Includes liner notes by Rich Kienzle.
All tracks have been digitally remastered.
This is part of MCA's "20th Century Masters: The Millennium Collection" series.
Personnel: Waylon Jennings (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Rich Kienzle.
Photographer: Alan Messer.
Though the '80s are regarded by some as a valley in the long career of Johnny Cash, the country legend's tenure at Mercury Records during that time produced some fine work. Such albums as JOHNNY 99 and ROCKABILLY BLUES found him shedding new light on songs by Bruce Springsteen and Guy Clark, and offering some hard-hitting new material of his own. So it's hard to figure why those albums were ignored on this collection of Cash's Mercury recordings. Instead, 10 of the 12 tunes are reworkings of classic tunes from the Columbia and Sun years.
While it would have been nice to hear the aforementioned gems, it's impressive enough to hear Cash revisit this material some three decades down the road with just as much vigor and (thanks to old pal Jack Clement) a production style amazingly free of any '80s dross. Instead, the rockabilly side of Cash's sound is underlined to fine effect. Of the non-vintage tunes that round out the album, well, only so much can be done for Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle," but Cash and Waylon Jennings offer a hearty run through the self-explanatory story song "The Night Hank Williams Came to Town."
Get Rhythm / Story Songs of Trains And Rivers (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE
Lonesome and Blue: The Complete County Recordings (CD)
$15.08 Super Savings
I've Been Woking On The Guitar: The Legend Begins (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
Country Music's Yodelling Cowboy Crooner, Volume 1 (CD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $9.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE