- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 50 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: September 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 1964
- Label: Criterion
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Destination: Mars"
- Music Video: "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" - Victor Lundin
- Audio Commentary: Ib Melchior - Screenwriter; Paul Mantee, Victor Lundin - Stars; Al Nozaki; Rober Skotak
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Screenplay - Snippets
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 06/24/1994
"Cult sci-fi fanciers are aware that this oddball is better than it sounds..."
An entertaining interpretation of the classic Defoe story about an astronaut and his monkey.
In this innovative retelling of Daniel Defoe's classic, the intrepid adventurer is a marooned astronaut who crash lands on Mars with his pet monkey in tow. He meets a runaway slave from an exotic planet, and the three use all their ingenuity and resources available to stay alive.
Animal Heroes |
Space Exploration |
Stranded / Castaway |
- Shot in Technicolor and Techniscope, in Death Valley, California.
- Technical adviser was Edward V. Ashburn.
- Film was originally released June 17, 1964 in Rhode Island; wide release in New York City August 27, 1964.
- Barney the Wooly Monkey played Mona.
- The Voyager Laserdisc #CC1336L includes original promotional artwork, the theatrical trailer, and audio commentary on the alternate track.