- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 49 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 1, 2004
- Originally Released: 2000
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound - English
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound - French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound - Spanish
- Additional Release Material:
- Introduction: David Twohy
- Making Of: THE MAKING OF PITCH BLACK
- DARK FURY: ADVANCING THE ARC
- A VIEW INTO THE DARK
- THE GAME IS ON
- THE JOHN'S CASE LOG
- David Twohy - Director
- Vin Diesel - Actor
- Cole Hauser - Actor
- Peter Chiang - Visual Effects
- Tom Englemen - Producer
- Photo Galleries: CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK VISUAL ENCYCLOPEDIA
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Movieline's Hollywood Life - 03/??/2000
"...Deisel has so much presence that you don't look away when he's on-screen."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/10/2000
"...Weirdly cool....Coolly weird..." -- Rating: B+
Total Film - 08/01/2000
"...Superior stuff....A craftily crafted and stylishly shot outer-spacer..." -- 4 out of 5 stars
New York Times - 02/18/2000
"...The movie shrewdly taps into the lurking primal terrors of anyone who ever had to sleep with a night light..."
Box Office - 03/01/2000
"...Vin Diesel's demeanor is refreshing and the combination of his voice and physical build make his character memorable....Not since the coming of the Terminator has there been an anti-hero so worth cheering..."
Los Angeles Times - 02/18/2000
"...[Twohy] brings maximum razzle-dazzle and energy to the film....[Vin Diesel] has an intelligence and authority to match his imposing physical presence..."
Uncut - 08/01/2000
"Diesel, with his wrestler's muscles and basso profundo voice, makes a superb bad guy..."
A dark, atmospheric sci-fi thriller with a sharp sense of humor. When a spacecraft crashes on a mysterious planet, the remaining survivors turn to Riddick (Diesel), a convicted murderer, to help them survive. It appears that the only life form on the planet is a dangerous species of flesh-eating alien that emerges from underground when darkness appears. Before long, the abandoned passengers realize that a rare eclipse is about to immerse the planet in darkness, declaring open season on each and every one of them.
Outer Space |
Space Travel |
- Opened theatrically in the U.S. on February 18, 2000.