Spike Jones Omniburst / 60 Years of Music America Hates Best
- Released: July 24, 2006
- Originally Released: 2006
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Liberty Records 3140 (1960)
- Original Album #2: Liberty Records 3154 (1960)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Spike Jones' unorthodox mixture of comedy and music, including performances with bicycle horns, guns, whistles , sirens, vaudeville comics and midgets, earned him a unique place in the musical world. With dead-on, irreverent parodies of the popular songs of the day, Spike Jones landed at the top of the best selling charts and paved the way for Allen Sherman and Weird Al Yankovic. The audio-assault of two of Spike Jones long out-of-print original Liberty recordings are featured on this two-on-one compact disc. The wacky tunes "Ah-1, Ah-2, Ah-Sunset Strip," "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb (Spooky, Spooky, Lend Me Your Tomb)" and "A Mudders' Day Sport Spectacular (William Tell Overture)" are featured on this zany and entertaining disc.
- 1.Ah-1, Ah-2, Ah-Sunset Strip
- 2.Loretta's Soaperetta
- 3.Captain Bangaroo
- 4.The Late Late Movies, Part 1
- 5.The Wonderful World Of Hari Kari
- 6.I Search For Golden Adventure (In My Seven Leaky Boots)
- 7.A Mudder's Day Sport Spectacular (William Tell Overture)
- 8.The Late Late Movies, Part 2
- 9.I Kiss Your Hand, Madame
- 10.Knock, Knock, Who's There?
- 11.River, Stay 'Way From My Door
- 12.Pimples And Braces
- 13.Hut Sut Song
- 14.Strip Polka
- 15.Mairzy Doats
- 16.The 20's Roar (Medley)
- 17.Melody Of Love (Why Do I Love You)
- 18.Three Little Fishies
- 19.Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb (Spooky, Spooky, Lend Me Your Tomb)
2 LPs on 1 CD: OMNIBUST (1960)/60 YEARS OF MUSIC AMERICA HATES BEST (1960).
Personnel: George Rock, Sam Quenton, Linda Strangis, Carmen Lumbago Trio, Walker Edmiston, Boys in the Backroom, Gloria Wood (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Spike Jones.
Arrangers: Carl Brandt; Spike Jones.
Omnibust/60 Years of Music America Hates Best pairs two of Spike Jones' Liberty albums from 1960 on one disc. Omnibust is a largely spoken word parody of television programming that takes a swipe at Lawrence Welk, children's programming, commercials, soap operas, and the then-popularity of detective show theme music. "I Search for Golden Adventure (In My Seven Leaky Boots)" manages to parody adventure shows and Martin Denny's "The Quiet Village" at the same time, while "The Wonderful World of Hari Kari" revisits the Asian stereotypes that Jones employed a decade earlier with his hit "Chinese Mule Train." Although recorded after the breakup of Jones' City Slickers, his old cohort Doodles Weaver returns to reprise his performance of the "William Tell Overture" in "A Mudder's Day Sport Spectacular." 60 Years of Music America Hates Best is a more pointedly musical effort on which Jones and his studio crew lampoon a variety of 20th century popular songs and styles, replete with his trademark horns and whistles. Much of this music would sound like something from an earlier era if not for the sparkling stereo sound. "Three Little Fishies" and "Hut Sut Song" are naturals for Jones' wit, and "Mairzy Doats" is so disorienting it could provoke flashbacks in a reformed LSD user. Turning toward rock & roll, Jones turns "Kookie, Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb" into a Halloween song, and spoofs "Tequila"-style instrumentals with "Pimples and Braces." In a strange move, Collectables reissued this two-fer in 2006 while the Taragon edition was still available. ~ Greg Adams
WCBS FM101.1 - Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 3 (CD)
$6.79 CYBER WEEK
Breakfast in Hollywood (1946) / Minstrel Men (1944) (DVD)
3WS FM94.5: Ultimate Christmas Album, Volume 3 (CD)
$6.79 CYBER WEEK
Ultimate Christmas Album Gift Set, Volume 2 (2-CD)
$9.99 CYBER WEEK
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 5 ratings.
Based on 5 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 11,870
- UPC: 090431290026
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Comedy: Music Music Categories:
- Sandra Bernhard Everything Bad & Beautiful (Live) (CD) ~ $4.49 CYBER WEEK
- Victor Borge Caught In The Act (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER WEEK
- Victor Borge Comedy In Music (CD) ~ $8.78 CYBER WEEK
- Victor Borge Phonetically Speaking - And Don't Forget the Piano (CD) ~ $14.39 CYBER WEEK
- Capitol Steps Workin' 9 to 10 (CD) ~ $13.37 CYBER WEEK
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $3.99 CYBER WEEK
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER WEEK
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.19 CYBER WEEK
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER WEEK
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $4.78 CYBER WEEK