Lucky Millinder The Very Best of Lucky Millinder
|You Save:||$14.99 (88% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2005
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Although not a musician himself, and unable to read music, Lucky Millinder was a bandleader for over twenty years. His pioneering recordings in the 1940s paved the way for what became known as Rhythm & Blues in the 1950s. Millinder signed with King Records in 1950, producing the songs which are featured on this CD. Included on this 24-song set are "I'm Waiting Just For You" and "Let It Roll Again."
- 1.Henry GloverWho Said Shorty Wasn't Coming Back
- 2.Annisteen AllenMr. Trumpet Man
- 3.(Big) John GreerLet It Roll Again
- 4.(Big) John GreerMy Little Baby
- 5.(Big) John GreerThe Jumpin' Jack
- 6.(Big) John GreerClap Your Hands
- 7.Lee RichardsonPlease Open Your Heart
- 8.Myra Johnson And The BandSilent George
- 9.John CarrollChew Tobacco Rag
- 10.John CarrollGeorgia Rose
- 11.Annisteen Allen & John CarrollI'm Waiting Just For You
- 12.By Annisteen AllenBongo Boogie
- 13.Annisteen Allen, Melvin Moore And (Brother) John SellersThe Right Kind Of Lovin'
- 14.Annisteen Allen & Melvin MooreNo One Else Could Be
- 15.Annisteen Allen & Melvin MooreIt's Been A Long Long Time
- 16.Melvin MooreThe Grape Vine
- 17.Pigmeat PetersonPlease Be Careful
- 18.Corky Robbins & Johnny BosworthLoaded With Love
- 19.Corky Robbins & Johnny BosworthWhen I Gave You My Love
- 20.Hey JacksonLord Knows I Tried
- 21.Cathy RyanI'm Here Love
- 22.Cathy Ryan & The AdmiralsIt's A Sad Sad Feeling
- 23.Sam "The Man" Taylor On Tenor SaxophoneOw!
- 24.Robert "Bubber" Johnson, Also With The AdmiralsGoody Good Love
Personnel: Johnny Bosworth, Henry Glover, John Carroll , Robert "Bubber" Johnson, Lee Richardson, Heywood Jackson, Melvin Moore, Myra Johnson, Annisteen Allen (vocals); Sam "The Man" Taylor (tenor saxophone).
Liner Note Author: Victor Pearlin.
This 24-track collection features a selection of Lucky Millinder's recordings for the King label in the 1950s. Though he wasn't a player himself, Millinder proved to be a charismatic bandleader, guiding his ensemble through energetic big-band tunes such as "Who Said Shorty Wasn't Coming Back" and "Let It Roll Again." The New York-based Millinder and his group had mastered the swinging sing-along by the early '50s, as revealed by the aforementioned tracks, "The Jumpin' Jack," "Clap Your Hands," and many other songs. In addition to Millinder's lively band, this compilation showcases the many vocalists that worked with him, including Big John Greer, Annisteen Allen, Melvin Moore, and the curiously named Pigmeat Peterson. (The swooning duets between Allen and Moore--"No One Else Could Be" and "It's Been a Long Long Time"--are particularly excellent.) A potent dose of rollicking swing mixed with lovely ballads, THE VERY BEST OF LUCKY MILLINDER is a fine introduction to this entertaining, underrated performer.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 3,678
- UPC: 090431289822
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- Barbara Acklin Best of Barbara Acklin (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Allures Doo Wop Memories (Just For You), Acappella Volume 2 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Alvin & the Chipmunks Christmas With The Chipmunks, Volume 2 (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- America Live (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- American Composers Orchestra Beaser: Chorale Variations / Seven Deadly Sins / Concerto for Piano & Orchestra (CD) ~ $1.98 on SALE