- Rated: R
- Closed captioning available
- Run Time: 2 hours, 8 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: July 6, 2004
- Originally Released: 1986
- Label: Warner Home Video
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Variety - 09/24/1986
"...Connery lends dignity, intelligence and his lovely voice to the [film]..."
Entertainment Weekly - 08/05/2011
"The film's packed with messages in invisible ink, secret staircases, and corpses in cauldrons of pig's blood." -- Grade: B+
Based on the best-selling book by Italian author Umberto Eco. During a meeting of the papacy, a brilliant English monk, William of Baskerville, uses reason to solve a series of bizarre murders attributed to the devil--and risks being burned for heresy by the holy inquisition.
Based on Umberto Eco's best-selling novel, "The Name of the Rose" is a medieval whodunit set in a 14th-century Italian monastery. Franciscan monk William of Baskerville and a young novice arrive for a conference to find that several monks have been brutally murdered. In his attempt to solve the crimes, William must challenge the authority of the Catholic Church by eschewing religious fervor in favor of rational thought.
Period Piece |
Theatrical Release |
- Additional cast: Volker Prechtel (Malachia), Helmut Qualtinger (Remigio), and Valentina Vargas (The Girl).
- Additional credits: Rainer Schaper (art director), Pierre Hebey (associate producer).
- Copyright 1986 Neue Constantin Film Produktion GmbH. Copyright 1986 Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation.