Blu-ray Disc Features:
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 55 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: August 30, 2011
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Note: Audio commentary by singer Marni Nixon and film historian Joseph McBride
- Affairs to Remember: Deborah Kerr
- Affairs to Remember: Cary Grant
- Directed by Leo McCarey
- A Producer to Remember: Jery Wald
- The Look at An Affair to Remember
- AMC Backstory: An Affair to Remember
- Fox Movietones News: An Affair to Remember Shipboard premiere attracts celebrities
- Theatrical trailler
- Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French, Spanish
- DTS HD Master Audio - English, French, Spanish
- Subtitles - Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 01/08/2008
"AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER evolves effortlessly, almost invisibly, from light romantic comedy to a kind of spiritual drama, as the characters cast off their public identities and approach their essences..."
Ultimate DVD - 04/01/2008
5 stars out of 5 -- "This is a classic, combining romance, drama, comedy and style....A love story, but one that touches the heart..."
Sight and Sound - 03/01/2012
"This much-revived weepie has inspired remakes and pastiches and it's easy to understand why -- McCarey knows just how to crank up the emotions....This is a film that defies you to be cynical about it."
In this legendary tearjerker, the world's most eligible bachelor (Cary Grant) is set to marry an heiress. But unfortunately for his bride-to-be, while he's traveling alone on a luxury liner he meets Terry McKay (Deborah Kerr) and realizes he's engaged to the wrong woman--and she's engaged to the wrong man. They finally agree to spend six months apart; if they still love each other at the end of that time, they will reunite at the top of the Empire State Building. But the path of true love does not always run smooth, and tragedy threatens to tear the couple apart. Leo McCarey directed both the original (LOVE AFFAIR) and this remake, and viewers often amiably battle over which film is the more touching. This much-loved film features the Academy Award-nominated title song and a splendid supporting cast.
Leo McCarey's lighthearted romance combines with tragedy to tell the tale of two lovers who long to be together but are engaged to others.
Essential Cinema |
Love Story |
New York City |
Tear Jerker |
Theatrical Release |
- AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER figures prominently in SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE, in which the female characters watch it constantly, with tears in their eyes. (The men watch it uncomprehendingly and untouched.)
- This version is a remake of McCarey's 1939 film LOVE AFFAIR. According to Richard Roud in his CINEMA: A CRITICAL DICTIONARY, McCarey preferred the first version because "Cary Grant's irony in the remake took away from the 'beauty' of the original." The film was remade again in 1994 with Warren Beatty and Annette Bening.
- The film was shown on the American Movie Classics cable network in its original Widescreen format in February 1994.