- Digitally Mastered By: Little Walter DeVenne
- Liner Notes: Victor Pearlin
- Compiled By: Victor Pearlin
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
Albert King became one of the most famous blues guitarists in the world during the 1970s and 1980s, but it was anything but overnight success for him. Although he recorded some early sides in 1953 for Parrot Records, his first real musical break came in 1959 when he signed with St. Louis-based Bobbin Records. Over the next four years, King recorded for both Bobbin and King Records (who purchased the rights from Bobbin for a number of his tracks, and later purchased his contract outright). This collection includes all of the sides recorded by Albert King during this period, after which he was signed by Stax Records and enjoyed almost immediate success.
- 1. Ooh-Ee Baby
- 2. Why Are You So Mean To Me
- 3. Need You By My Side
- 4. The Time Has Come
- 5. I Walked All Night Long
- 6. I've Made Nights By Myself
- 7. Old Blue Ribbon 2
- 8. I've Made Nights By Myself (Alternate Version)
- 9. Let's Have A Natural Ball
- 10. Blues At Sunrise
- 11. Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong
- 12. This Morning
- 13. Travelin' To California
- 14. Dyna Flow
- 15. I Get Evil
- 16. What Can I Do To Change Your Mind
- 17. I'll Do Anything You Say
- 18. Got To Be Some Changes Made
- 19. This Funny Feeling
- 20. Had You Told It Like It Was
- 21. Ooh-Ee Baby (LP Version)
- 22. Blues At Sunrise (Alternate Version)
- 23. The Time Has Come (Alternate Version)
- 24. Why Are You So Mean To Me (Alternate Version)
Liner Note Author: Victor Pearlin.
This Collectables reissue highlights 24 tracks Albert King recorded in the late '50s and early '60s for the Bobbin and King labels. These post-Parrot, pre-Stax tracks find the left-handed blues guitar innovator formulating his big-city urban sound with the addition of a horn section. This is strong, gritty material highlighted by definitive versions of "Let's Have a Natural Ball," "Blues at Sunrise," "I Get Evil," and "Don't Throw Your Love On Me So Strong," King's first hit single outside the St. Louis area, where he was working the club circuit at the time. Also included are alternate versions of "I've Made Nights By Myself," "Blues at Sunrise," "The Time Has Come," and "Why Are You So Mean to Me." Although this compilation contains first-rate performances, there is nothing unexpected for the Albert King collector. However, if you're only familiar with his Stax sessions, this disc should be the next one you purchase. ~ Al Campbell
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Write an online review to share your thoughts with other customers.
Complete King and bobbin Recordings
Music Lover: wayne harper
phila., PA US
-- October, 1, 2009
This is a must for all blues fans
RE: Long Live The King!
Music Lover: LX Skye
-- April, 4, 2007
These are Alberts pre-Stax recordings from the early 60s.
Great sound & performances, mono & stereo. And at this price, grab it now!
- Sales Rank: 8,025
- UPC: 090431288726
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item