- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 3 hours, 25 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 0 (Worldwide)
- Released: March 6, 2007
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Kino Video
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - Russian, English, French
- DTS (unspecified) - Russian
- Mono - Russian
- Subtitles - Russian, English, French, German, Spanish and Italian - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: "A Film Press Announcement"
- Featurette: Director Aleksandr Askoldov and the Controversy over kOMMISSAR
- Archival Interviews
- Raisa Nedashkovskaya - Star
- Filmographies: Cast/Crew
- Stills/Photos (3)
- Additional Text:
- Vasily Grossman - Source Writer
- Aleksandr Askoldov - Director
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Film Comment - 06/01/1988
"...A masterpiece of montage, yielding itself with absolutely stunning clarity in a visual grammar worthy of Eisenstein and Dovzhenko..."
Los Angeles Times - 06/16/1988
"...It is amazing how much emotion and experience COMMISSAR is able to express between its central symbols of life and death..."
Sight and Sound - 06/01/2007
"Askoldov is as comfortable with large-scale set pieces as with intimate tête-a-têtes..."
Against the backdrop of the Russian Civil War, a female Commissar, realizing she is pregnant, is forced to live with a Jewish family. During her pregnancy she is exposed to cultures different than her own and, in the end, she must make up her mind whether to stay with baby, or stay in the Army.
Social Issues |
Tear Jerker |
- Winner of the Silver Bear at the Berlin Film Festival; also won the International Critics Prize for Best Film.
- "Commissar" was banned by the Soviet government for almost 21 years.
- Copyright 1988, Mosfilm.