- Number of Discs: 3
- Run Time: 3 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Black & White / Color
- Released: July 5, 2011
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Athena
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Bonus programs: A Thousand Days: A Tribute to John F. Kennedy (an homage first shown at the '64 Democratic National Convention), and The March of Time: Seven Days in the Life of the President (an intimate look at Lyndon B. Johnson)
- 16-page viewer's guide, featuring White's essay on Wolper's documentaries, a biography of White, and articles on campaign platforms and some quixotic campaigners
- The Contenders after Their Campaigns: updated biograhies on candidates who did not win their party's nomination
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Description by OLDIES.com:
Three landmark documentaries trace the path to presidential power, from preprimary jockeying to backroom deals, convention-floor drama, campaign strategy, and the final vote tally. Spanning the tumultuous 1960s, they spotlight three historic races: Kennedy-Nixon, Johnson-Goldwater, and Humphrey-Nixon-Wallace.
Belletrist and social observer Theodore H. White made an indelible impact on history in 1960, with his tome THE MAKING OF THE PRESIDENT. The recipient of a Pulitzer Price, the book offered the public a new level of insight into the U.S. political machine that instantly caught on, and set the standard for years to follow. Producer David L. Wolper then adapted White's work into a series of televised documentary specials, each one chronicling an election. This box set includes three of those specials: one from 1960 (on the Kennedy-Nixon race), another from 1964 (on the Johnson-Goldwater race), and a third from 1968 (on the Humphrey-Nixon-Wallace race). Each of the specials observes intimate moments between the candidates and their staff members, captures the tension of the races, and much more, meanwhile shedding a light on the inner mechanisms.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 89,131
- UPC: 054961866892
- Shipping Weight: 0.62/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 3 items