Barney Kessel Breakfast At Tiffany's / Bossa Nova / Contemporary Latin Rhythms (2-CD)
|You Save:||$12.99 (77% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Reprise 6019 (1961)
- Original Album #2: Reprise 6049 (1962)
- Original Album #3: Reprise 6073 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Jazz guitarist Barney Kessel achieved prominence at such a young age, and always presented his work with such consistency that Leonard Feather labeled him a "Giant of Jazz" and observed that he is the most distinguished exponent we have of Charlie Christian's style. These three albums, originally recorded for Reprise in the early 1960s, feature him backed by Paul Horn, Bud Shank, Earl Palmer, Conte Candoli, Victor Fedman and others.
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Moon River
- 2.Something For The Cat
- 3.Sally's Tomato
- 4.Mr. Yunioshi
- 5.The Big Blowout
- 6.Hub Caps And Small Lights
- 7.Breakfast At Tiffany's
- 8.Latin Go Lightly
- 10.Loose Caboose
- 11.The Big Heist
- 12.Moon River Cha Cha
- 13.Love For Sale
- 14.String Of Pearls
- 15.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 16.Summer Time
- 17.You Came A Long Way From St. Louis
- 18.Muscrat Ramble
- 20.It Ain't Necessarily So
- 22.Sweet Georgia Brown
- 23.Tumbling Tumbleweeds
- 24.Bye Bye Blues
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Blues In The Night
- 2.Days Of Wine And Roses
- 3.Latin Dance
- 4.Lady Byrd
- 5.One Note Samba
- 6.The Peanut Vendor
- 7.Quiza's, Quiza's, Quiza's
- 8.Everytime I Hear This Song
- 10.Twilight In Acapulco
3 LPs on 1 CD: BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961)/BOSSA NOVA (1962)/CONTEMPORARY LATIN RHYTHMS (1963).
Personnel includes: Barney Kessel (guitar); Paul Horn (saxophone, flute);
Conte Candoli (trumpet); Victor Feldman (vibraphone); Emil Richards (marimba); Keith Mitchell (bass); Earl Palmer, Stan Levey (drums).
Originally released on Reprise (6019), Reprise (6049) & Reprise (6073).
Personnel: Barney Kessel (guitar); Alton Hendrickson, Bill Pitman (guitar); Paul Horn (flute, saxophone); Conte Candoli (trumpet); Victor Feldman (vibraphone); Emil Richards (marimba); Stan Levey (drums); Francisco Aguabella, Frank Capp, Eddie Talamantes (percussion).
This double CD is more about Barney Kessel the studio player than Kessel the jazz guitar legend. Still, this compilation of three LPs originally released between 1961-1963 has some good music, and Kessel the jazz man is not entirely absent, even though the settings do not call for him to stretch out.
Breakfast at Tiffany's is Kessel's handling of Henry Mancini's music from the classic Blake Edwards film with Audrey Hepburn. With a number entitled "Moon River Cha Cha," listeners pretty much know what's in store for them with this set: instrumental treatments of pop music that was riding high both on the airwaves and on the big screen. The tracks are brief and the playing doesn't stray far from the arrangements. The Bossa Nova session is a step closer to jazz, but the context is still a commercial one. Kessel surprises with a twangy personality right out of Steve Cropper's work with the MG's or Mickey Baker's extroverted solo work. Ray Johnson's cheesy organ is an ideal complement to Kessel's bluesy surf guitar. Contemporary Latin Rhythms is a jazz date, but still with a pop attitude. Kessel is the only soloist on the sunny, unassuming arrangements. The guitarist's spirited work on Tad Dameron's "Lady Bird" is a highlight that showcases Kessel's fluency in moving between chorded and single-note soloing.
Students of Kessel's playing will find this compilation an intriguing display of the guitarist's range and adaptability. Fans of Kessel the jazz player, though, will want to stick with his fine series of releases for Contemporary from this same period. ~ Jim Todd
Art FarmerInteraction (Featuring Jim Hall) / Sing Me Softly of The... (CD)
$1.98 on SALE
Max RoachMax Roach Trio Featuring The Legendary Hasaan / Drums... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Shirley ScottShirley Scott & The Soul Saxes (King Curtis, Hank Crawford... (CD)
$2.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 287
- UPC: 090431285725
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $4
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $4
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE