The Kinks Something Else: Deluxe Edition [Import]
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$17.28 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.71 (14% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 28, 2011
- Originally Released: 2011
- Label: Sanctuary Uk
Rolling Stone - 9/14/00, p.1805 stars out of 5 - "...An eccentric brand of rock & roll that had far more to do with Thomas Hardy than Chuck Berry....The arrangements are quieter and occasionally employ keyboard and strings....The album's gem is its concluding track, 'Waterloo Sunset'..."
Mojo (Publisher) - 9/03, p.1244 stars out of 5 - "...SOMETHING ELSE, originally released in 1967, was the anti-PEPPER..."
Uncut (magazine) - p.904 stars out of 5 -- "SOMETHING ELSE is The Kinks at their best, a flawless 13-song suite of elegant and quintessentially English songwriting..."
- 1.Disc 1 (Mono)
- 2.David Watts
- 3.Death of A Clown
- 4.Two Sisters
- 5.No Return
- 6.Harry Rag
- 7.Tin Soldier Man
- 8.Situation Vacant
- 9.Love Me Till The Sun Shines
- 10.Lazy Old Sun
- 11.Afternoon Tea
- 12.Funny Face
- 13.End of The Season
- 14.Waterloo Sunset
- 15.Act Nice and Gentle
- 16.Mr. Pleasant
- 17.Susannah's Still Alive
- 18.Autumn Almanac
- 19.Harry Rag (Alternate Take)
- 20.David Watts (Alternate Take)
- 21.Afternoon Tea (Canadian Mono Mix)
- 22.Sunny Afternoon (Bbc Version)
- 23.Autumn Almanac (Bbc Version)
- 24.Mr Pleasant (Bbc Version)
- 25.Susannah's Still Alive (Bbc Version)
- 26.David Watts (Bbc Version)
- 27.Love Me Till The Sunshines (Bbc Version)
- 28.Death of A Clown (Bbc Version)
- 29.Good Luck Charm (Bbc Version)
- 30.Harry Rag (Bbc Version)
- 31.Little Woman (Backing Track)
- 32.Disc 2 (Stereo)
- 33.David Watts
- 34.Death of A Clown
- 35.Two Sisters
- 36.No Return
- 37.Harry Rag
- 38.Tin Soldier Man
- 39.Situation Vacant
- 40.Love Me Till The Sun Shines
- 41.Lazy Old Sun
- 42.Afternoon Tea
- 43.Funny Face
- 44.End of The Season
- 45.Waterloo Sunset
- 46.Susannah's Still Alive
- 47.Autumn Almanac
- 48.Sand On My Shoes
- 49.Afternoon Tea (Alternate Version)
- 50.Mr Pleasant (Alternate Version)
- 51.Lazy Old Sun (Alternate Vocal Version)
- 52.Funny Face (Alternate Version)
- 53.Afternoon Tea (German Stereo Mix)
- 54.Tin Soldier Man (Alternate Backing Track)
The Kinks: Ray Davies, Dave Davies (vocals, guitar); Pete Quaife (bass); Mick Avory (drums).
Personnel: Ray Davies (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Dave Davies (vocals, guitar); Peter Quaife (bass guitar); Mick Avory (drums).
Audio Remasterers: Daniel Hersch; Andrew Sandoval.
Liner Note Author: Peter Doggett.
Recording information: Playhouse Theatre, London (01/1967-10/1967); Pye Studios, No. 2 (01/1967-10/1967); Playhouse Theatre, London (08/04/1967/10/25/1967); Pye Studios, No. 2 (08/04/1967/10/25/1967).
Having closed out their hard-rock period, the Kinks went pastoral on SOMETHING ELSE. It's an album of folk and pop songs about the quiet pleasures of family life and the English countryside, dotted with harpsichords, acoustic guitars, and ethereal harmonies. A radical rejection of the Age of Aquarius, it was one of the boldest pop albums of its time, a commercial failure but an artistic landmark. In "Two Sisters," Ray Davies sings about a wild, swinging woman and her homemaking sister, and dares to side with the latter. Other songs include "Afternoon Tea," surely the first rock song ever written on that subject, and the majestic "Waterloo Sunset," which has been described as the most beautiful song ever written in the English language.
Something About Suburbia: The Sixties Sounds of Tim Andrews (CD)
$17.69 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 87 ratings.
Based on 87 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) TOP 10 Bestseller
99¢ on SALE
Camp Meeting / Soul of The Gospel Harmonettes (CD) TOP 25 Bestselling CD
$1.98 on SALE