- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 32 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 25, 2006
- Originally Released: 1957
- Label: Criterion
- 2-Disc Set
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- Mono - French
- Subtitles - English
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 07/29/2005
"As beautifully fatalistic as its title, the classic thriller ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS is a consummate entertainment rich with the romantic atmosphere of Paris in the 1950s."
Rolling Stone - 04/20/2006
4 stars out of 4 -- "Louis Malle made his directorial debut with this taut classic."
USA Today - 05/12/2006
"This taut suspense film is like none of his other works."
Premiere - 06/01/2006
"[A] fantastic thriller that more than satisfies on the nail-biting suspense level while also stressing intimacy, character, and realism..."
Total Film - 02/03/2014
5 stars out of 5 -- "The ambition is bracing, but critical hindsight obscures how exciting Malle's noir thriller is on its own terms."
New Wave (Film) |
Theatrical Release |
- Louis Malle (1932-1995) directed this film, his first feature, when he was 25 years old.
- Winner of the 1957 Prix Louis Delluc (awarded from 1937 to 1989) in France.
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Censors.
- Copyright 1957, Nouvelles Editions De Films.