- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 18 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: April 11, 2006
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Criterion
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Mojo - 12/01/2004
"[N]ot only the first major rock festival movie but one of the most memorable."
Concert Footage |
Music (General) |
Music Video |
Pop / Rock |
Rock And Roll |
Rock Legends |
Rock Music |
Rock Musicians |
- The Monterey International Pop Festival -- the first of the big rock festivals -- took place over three days, January 16 to January 18, 1967, and drew 50,000 people. Tickets for Monterey ranged in price from $3.50 to $6.
- Performers who appeared at the festival (but not necessarily in the film): Big Brother and the Holding Company, Otis Redding, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Who, The Grateful Dead, The Byrds, Jefferson Airplane, The Association, The Electric Flag, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Canned Heat, The Blues Project, Laura Nyro, Hugh Masekela, Buffalo Springfield, Country Joe and the Fish, Booker T. and the MG's, The Mamas and the Papas, Quicksilver Messenger Serivce, The Mar-Keys, Lou Rawls, Eric Burdon & the Animals, and Ravi Shankar.
- Filmed in 16mm.
- Screened at the 1968 Venice Film Festival.
- Distribution and production company: Leacock-Pennebaker, Inc.
- Monkee member Mickey Dolenz and Mama Cass Elliot can be glimpsed in the audience during the climactic Ravi Shankar sitar number.
- Tracks include:
"Ball and Chain"
- In August 2001, the film was rereleased in a new 35 mm print and received a theatrical run at The Screening Room in New York City.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 36 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 90,781
- UPC: 715515017329
- Shipping Weight: 0.30/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item