- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 1 hours, 38 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: February 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 1990
- Label: Criterion
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.66
- Dolby Digital Stereo - English
- Subtitles - English - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Deleted Scenes
- Audio Commentary: Whit Stillman, Christopher Tellefsen, Chris Eigeman - Director, Editor, Actor
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Additional Text: Essay - Luc Sante, author and film scholar
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Isabel Gillies &
Allison Rutledge-Parisi &
Rolling Stone - 07/12/1990
"...This just about perfect little picture...is a triumphant anomaly: a rude comedy of manners..."
USA Today - 08/17/1990
"...Stillman has a disarming ace....[METROPOLITAN] engrosses and charms..." -- 3 out of 4 stars
New York Times - 03/23/1990
"...A comedy of manners of a very high order....The actors are a uniformly engaging lot..."
Los Angeles Times - 08/10/1990
"...Stillman's gift for quiet, scrupulous observation grows on you....Stillman is a pointillist, working in the tiniest, most meticulous degrees..."
Entertainment Weekly - 02/17/2006
"[T]his witty yet wistful dream of a film smartly zeroes in on the universal desire to belong." -- Grade: A-
Sight and Sound - 09/01/2006
"Very well-written, affecting and often funny....With an almost sociological eye, Stillman explores the world of Manhattan's preppie debutantes and their escorts."
A chronicle of the social scene of a group of young Park Avenue socialites and their vanishing debutante scene. Into thier midst comes an outsider, a radical from the socially alien west side. But, because of an escort shortage he is welcomed into their group by the dominant, arrogant leader and his charming girlfriend. Academy Award Nominations: Best (Original) Screenplay.
Tom's a quiet, down-to-earth college student who usually keeps to himself. But when he's recruited by a group of debutantes (a wealthy clique short on male escorts for Yuletide season pageants) he winds up a regular deb date. Before long, Tom's tight with this haughty crew and finds himself fascinated by their erudite conversations, posh lifestyle and impeccable taste.
Big City |
Character Study |
- Shot in New York at Christmastime "Metropolitan," first feature from writer-director Whit Stillman, played at the 1990 Sundance Film Festival.
- Estimated budget: $500,000.
- Stillman told reporters his film was vaguely autobiographical.