- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 46 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: February 28, 2006
- Originally Released: 1950
- Label: Criterion
- 2-Disc Set
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - English
- Additional Release Material:
- Bonus Footage: BBC programs on Alec Guinness & the history of Ealing Studios
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Photo Galleries: Gallery of archival production and publicity photographs
- Essay: Philip Kemp - Film Critic
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 08/10/1990
"...Guinness gives the movie much of its comic accent....Price has fun too....The two actors find a comfortable rhythm..."
Sight and Sound - 10/01/2002
"...Throughout the movie Hamer plays elegantly malicious variations on this theme of class snobbery..."
Entertainment Weekly - 03/03/2006
"The literate, merry script stays spiky as an arrowhead..." -- Grade: B+
New York Times - 02/28/2006
"Class is the great unmentionable of American movies, but the British positively swill in the subject. Seldom has it been treated with more elegance and bile than in Robert Hammer's 1949 Ealing comedy KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS."
Empire - 11/01/2008
"Intrinsically British and of its time, KIND HEARTS is arguably Ealing's brightest jewel."
Total Film - 09/01/2011
5 stars out of 5 -- "Robert Hamer's poised direction chimes perfectly with his Edwardian setting..."
KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS is a deft and dark comedy with Alec Guinness in superb form as he plays eight different members of the D'Ascoyne clan. Louis (Dennis Price), the black sheep of the wealthy family, must murder all the heirs in order to inherit the D'Ascoyne fortune. Watch as the brilliant Guinness disappears into his various eccentric roles.
Essential Cinema |
Family Interaction |
Switching Roles |
- Alec Guiness' plays eight roles, which are:
- 1. Ethelred D'Ascoyne, The Duke of Chalfont
2. The Banker, Lord Ascoyne D'Ascoyne
3. The Parson, Reverend Lord Henry D'Ascoyne
4. The General, Lord Rufus D'Ascoyne
5. The Admiral, Lord Horatio D'Ascoyne
6. Young Ascoyne D'Ascoyne
7. Young Henry D'Ascoyne
8. Lady Agatha D'Ascoyne