- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 33 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: July 10, 2001
- Originally Released: 1936
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary: Bob Gilpin - Film Historian
- Additional Audio Material: MY MAN GODFREY Lux Radio Theatre adaptation
- Trailers: Original Theatrical Trailer
- Text/Photo Galleries:
Performers, Cast and Crew:
USA Today - 08/03/2001
"...[A] screwball classic....The first film to win Oscar nominations in all four acting categories..."
Based on the novel by Eric Hatch, this screwball comedy is a genre favorite. On a scavenger hunt for a society ball, haughty Cornelia Bullock discovers Godfrey, a dirty, dishevelled bum lurking around the city dump. She's looking for a "forgotten man" and Godfrey fits the bill perfectly. Hoping to win her first prize, she offers him five dollars to come along with her. Proud and dignified, he refuses, casting her aside. Minutes later, when her lovely younger sister Irene makes the same request, an enamored Godfrey accepts. The hunt sets off an unusual chain of events that bring Godfrey into the Bullock household as a permanent fixture. He'll become deeply embroiled in their family saga before anyone learns his true identity.
Essential Cinema |
Rags To Riches |
- MY MAN GODFREY was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1999.
- Academy Award Nominations: 7, including Best Director, Best Actor--William Powell, Best Actress--Carole Lombard, Best Screenplay.