Lou Rawls Nobody But / Lou Rawls & Strings
|You Save:||$3.99 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Songs 1-22 Arranged and Conducted by Benny Carter.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: Capitol 2273 (1965)
- Original Album #2: Capitol 2401 (1965)
Description by OLDIES.com:
After a stint in the famed Pilgrim Travellers, Lou Rawls launched his secular career on a recording with pianist Les McCann. These two original Capitol albums first appeared in 1965 and are considered among the finest of his career.
Living Blues - 9-10/02, p.80"...Benny Carter arranged these 2 LPs with a big band swing that beautifully suited the singer's suave delivery. The albums coexist elegantly..."
- 1.Nobody But Me
- 2.Into Each Life Some Rain Must Fall
- 3.Whispering Grass
- 4.Two Tickets West
- 5.It's Monday Every Day
- 6.Power Of Love
- 7.If I Had My Life To Live Over
- 8.For You My Love
- 9.If It's The Last Thing I Do
- 10.Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You
- 11.Blues For The Weepers
- 12.What'll I Do?
- 13.My Buddy
- 14.Du Bist Die Liebe
- 16.Now And Then There's A Fool Such As I
- 17.Three O'Clock In The Morning
- 18.Me And My Shadow
- 19.Cold, Cold Heart
- 20.I'll See You In My Dreams
- 22.Nothing Really Feels The Same
2 LPs on 1 CD: NOBODY BUT LOU (1965)/LOU RAWLS & STRINGS (1965).
Personnel includes: Lou Rawls (vocals); Benny Carter (arranger, conductor).
Originally released on Capitol (2273) & Capitol (2401).
Lou Rawls made five albums for Capitol Records between 1962 and 1965 before achieving commercial success in 1966. This discount-priced two-fer combines the fourth and fifth of those albums. In them, one gets a glimpse of the evolution of Capitol's view of Rawls as a singer. Rawls himself doesn't change, as ever applying his deep, rich voice and swinging manner to the material, but the music around him does change. Although both albums employ jazz veteran Benny Carter as arranger/conductor, Carter seems to have had different marching orders for each one. On Nobody but Lou, he has organized a big band … la Count Basie for a set of charts that emphasize Rawls' similarity to former Basie vocalist Joe Williams. This is a hard-swinging session, with plenty of room for instrumental soloing and arrangements that echo the up-tempo blues style of Williams' hits like "Everyday I Have the Blues." At times, if you didn't know who was singing, Williams would be your first guess. Nobody but Lou didn't sell, but Rawls did get a minor chart entry in 1965 with a revival of the 1920s standard "Three O'Clock in the Morning," which seems to have inspired Capitol to authorize a full-length album in the same vein. Lou Rawls and Strings finds Rawls performing a bunch of other '20s songs and a couple of tunes from the '50s accompanied by horns, strings, and a vocal chorus. Carter manages to make things swing now and then, but this is a much more pop-oriented set than its predecessor, even though Rawls makes repeated attempts to customize the material to his own purposes. Together, these albums show a Lou Rawls in his late twenties looking for a style to call his own. He doesn't quite succeed, but there is some good music nevertheless. ~ William Ruhlmann
Al HibblerAl Hibbler Sings The Blues - Monday Every Day (CD)
$9.98 on SALE
Andy WilliamsDanny Boy / The Wonderful World of Andy Williams (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
O.C. SmithHickory Holler Revisited / For Once In My Life (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
WDAS 105.3FM - Soulful Christmas, Volumes 1 & 2 (2-CD Box...(4)
$19.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 18,303
- UPC: 090431284728
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Complete Soul City / Bell Singles 1966-1975 (3-CD)
$35.46 Super Savings
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- The Ad-Libs Ad-Libs & Friends (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3