- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: October 18, 2005
- Originally Released: 1967
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: This is a new, restored high-definition digital transfer with new and improved English subtitle translation.
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - French
- Additional Release Material:
- Jean-Pierre Melville/Rui Nogueira & Ginette Vincendeau - Film Historians
- Jean-Pierre Melvilee - Archival Excerpt
- Alain Delon - Archival Excerpt
- Cathy Rosier - Archival Excerpt
- Nathalie Delon - Archival Excerpt
- Francois Perier - Archival Excerpt
- Essay: by film scholar David Thomson
- Reprinted tribute by filmmaker John Woo
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Los Angeles Times - 02/27/1997
"...An austere poem of crime, a fatalistic exercise in myth-making and transcendent style..."
Chicago Sun-Times - 06/08/1997
"...The film is masterful in its control of acting and visual style....LE SAMOURAI is as finished and polished as a film can be..."
Rolling Stone - 11/17/2005
4 stars out of 5 -- "With minimal amounts of violence but maximum style....Simply, the coolest film ever."
New York Times - 11/08/2005
"Melville's 1968 masterpiece....Minimal dialogue, a spare and moody jazz score and images drained of any color warmer than blue steel contribute to an overwhelming sense of repression and control."
Premiere - 12/01/2005
4 stars out of 4 -- "[I]t's a nigh perfectly constructed film, and its finale remains one of the most stunning yet enigmatic twists ever committed to celluloid."
When a stoic, icily professional assassin is witnessed leaving the scene of a nightclub "hit" by a barroom pianist who doesn't let on to the cops, he discovers that he's being set up for something worse than jail. New wave noir from Melville, the tough-guy darling of the "Cahiers du Cinema" crowd. Based on the novel "The Ronin" by Joan McLeod.
Film Noir |
New Wave (Film) |
Theatrical Release |