Miriam Makeba Evening with Belafonte & Makeba / The Magic of Makeba
|You Save:||$3.99 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
Available in a set:
- by Miriam Makeba ~ Only the Best of Miriam Makeba (4-CD Bundle Pack) ~ $33.13 (Save 35%)
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: RCA-LSP-3420 (1965)
- Original Album #2: RCA-LSP-3512 (1966)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Miriam Makeba's self-titled first album was released in 1960, very shortly after she was signed by RCA. The Belafonte Folk Singers appear on some tracks, as do the Chad Mitchell Trio and Charles Coleman. "World Of" was Makeba's first commerical success (and her third album), hitting #86 on the Pop Albums chart in 1963. Produced by RCA production duo Hugo & Luigi (the team that also did the Tokens' "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," Little Peggy March's "I Will Follow" and Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love), the album also features orchestra backing by Hugh Masekela (whom she married).
- 1.Train Song (Mbombela)
- 2.In The Land Of The Zulus (Kwazulu)
- 3.Hush, Hush (Thula, Thula)
- 4.To Those We Love (Nongqongqo)
- 5.Give Us Our Land (Mabayeke)
- 6.Beware, Verwoerd! (Ndodemnyama)
- 7.Gone Are My Children (Baile Banake)
- 8.Hurry, Mama, Hurry! (Khawuleza)
- 9.My Angel (Malaika)
- 10.Cannon (Mbayi, Mbayi)
- 11.Lullaby (Thula Sthandwa Same)
- 12.Show Me The Way, My Brother (Iph'indlela)
- 13.When I've Passed On
- 14.Sunrise, Sunset
- 15.Autumn Song
- 16.You Are My Love
- 17.Seven Good Years
- 18.Sleep Tight
- 19.Ask The Rising Sun
- 21.Where Does It Lead?
- 22.Muntu (Lullaby)
- 23.Ervev Shel Shoshanim
- 24.Oh, So Alone
2 LPs on 1 CD: AN EVENING WITH BELAFONTE & MAKEBA (1965)/THE MAGIC OF MAKEBA (1966).
Personnel includes: Miriam Makeba, Harry Belafonte (vocals); Jonas Gwangwa, Howard Roberts, Sid Bass (arranger, conductor); Sam Brown, Eddie Diehl, Marvoin Falcon, Ernie Calabra, Jay Berliner (guitar); William Salter, John Cartright (bass); Auchee Lee, Solomon Llori, Chief Bey, Ralph MacDonald, Percy Brice (percussion).
Originally released on RCA (3420) & RCA (3512). Includes liner notes by Harry Belafonte and Gene Lees.
Collectables Records' discount-priced two-fer CD reissue of the 1965 RCA Victor LP An Evening With Belafonte/Makeba and the 1966 album The Magic of Makeba puts together the last two of the six discs featuring Makeba that RCA released, and since they followed each other sequentially, it's an appropriate pairing chronologically. Stylistically, there is less reason for the combination. With An Evening, RCA seems to have been engaging in deliberate subterfuge to sell a commercially risky project. You'd think from the title that the album was a collection of live duet performances by Harry Belafonte and Makeba. It's no such thing. Rather, it is a studio album of 12 tracks, five by Belafonte, five by Makeba, and only two duets, and the songs are all South African traditional tunes sung in tribal languages like Xhosa and Zulu. Makeba had always mixed a heavy complement of her native music into her shows and records, but this album was the first in which she was involved to go all the way in that direction. Both singers acquit themselves well, sometimes performing with a choir that will remind listeners of the reissue of Ladysmith Black Mambazo. Just don't expect what the title implies. The Magic of Makeba goes off in the opposite direction. Near the end of her RCA contract, Makeba reversed the usual balance of pop to native music on her discs and made a record consisting mostly of mainstream pop sung in English with a standard Western string orchestra. She hedged her bets by recording songs written by friends such as her bass player, William Salter, but this is the least South African of her RCA albums and makes an odd juxtaposition with the entirely South African music of the earlier album on the CD. ~ William Ruhlmann
Edwin AstleyThe Saint / Secret Agent (Music from the TV Series) (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
The London American Label, Year by Year: 1963 (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 56,003
- UPC: 090431284322
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE