Miriam Makeba Miriam Makeba / The World of Miriam Makeba
|You Save:||$3.99 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: RCA-LSP-2267 (1960)
- Original Album #2: RCA-LSP-2750 (1963)
Description by OLDIES.com:
Miriam Makeba's self-titled first album was released in 1960, very shortly after she was signed by RCA. The Belafonte Folk Singers appear on some tracks, as do the Chad Mitchell Trio and Charles Coleman. "World Of" was Makeba's first commerical success (and her third album), hitting #86 on the Pop Albums chart in 1963. Produced by RCA production duo Hugo & Luigi (the team that also did the Tokens' "The Lion Sleeps Tonight," Little Peggy March's "I Will Follow" and Elvis' "Can't Help Falling In Love), the album also features orchestra backing by Hugh Masekela (whom she married).
- 1.The Retreat Song (Jikele Maweni)
- 3.The Click Song
- 8.The Naughty Little Flea
- 9.Where Does It Lead?
- 11.House Of The Rising Sun
- 13.One More Dance
- 14.Iya Guduza
- 16.Forbidden Games
- 17.Pole Mze
- 18.Little Boy
- 20.Vamos Chamar Ovento
- 23.Wonders And Things
- 24.Tonados De Media Noche (Song At Midnight)
- 25.Into Yam
- 26.Where Can I Go?
2 LPs on 1 CD: MIRIAM MAKEBA (1960)/THE WORLD OF MIRIAM MAKEBA (1963).
Personnel includes: Miriam Makeba (vocals); Milt Okun, Hugh Masekela (conductor); Perry Lopez (guitar); The Belanfonte Folk Singers; Chad Mitchell Trio.
Recorded in 1960 & 1963. Originally released on RCA (2276) & RCA (2750).
Includes liner notes by Harry Belafonte.
Personnel: Perry Lopez (guitar).
Liner Note Authors: Harry Belafonte; Adam Barnes.
Recording information: Webster Hall, New York, NY (05/10/1960-07/01/1963).
This discount-priced two-fer CD combines Miriam Makeba's self-titled debut album, first released in 1960, with her third LP, The World of Miriam Makeba, which appeared originally in 1963. (Both of these albums were on RCA Victor and have been leased from BMG Special Products; in between came 1962's The Many Voices of Miriam Makeba, on Kapp Records, now in the catalog of Universal.) Makeba, who had escaped South African apartheid to develop a career as a nightclub singer, brought a great deal of her homeland to her repertoire, though she also sang in English, Spanish, and Portuguese, and drew on songs from all over the world. Especially on the songs from her first album (tracks one through 14), you can hear RCA, using Harry Belafonte's producer, conductor, and backup singers, and bringing in such guests as the Chad Mitchell Trio, trying to develop a distaff version of Belafonte, someone just exotic enough to give Western listeners the flavor of a foreign culture, but not so much as to make them feel disoriented. The World of Miriam Makeba has even more of a pop feel, courtesy of a production by Hugo & Luigi. But, although the music may be culturally compromised, there is still enough of Makeba's own authenticity to keep things from turning into either a tourist venture or an academic discourse. Beyond anything else, she is a wonderful and versatile singer, whether she is singing in English or her native Xhosa and, despite the early-'60s folk touches, these albums have aged remarkably well. ~ William Ruhlmann
Miriam MakebaEvening with Belafonte & Makeba / The Magic of Makeba (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Evening with Belafonte & Makeba / The Magic of Makeba (CD)(2)
$12.98 on SALE
The London American Label, Year by Year: 1963 (CD)
$12.35 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 40,528
- UPC: 090431284223
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)(17)
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $3.98 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE