|You Save:||$3.99 (10% Off)|
Currently Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 45 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: May 27, 2003
- Originally Released: 1978
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.66
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Text/Photo Galleries:
- Additional Text: Ephemera from Derek Jarman - Director
- Liner Notes: Tony Peake - Writer, Jon Savage - Historian
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Performer:||Jordan, Nell Campbell, Toyah Willcox, Adam Ant & Richard O'Brien|
|Directed by||Derek Jarman|
JUBILEE is a visually charged, absurdly violent, and darkly comic tribute to British punk rock and its self-proclaimed Blank Generation. This unconventional vision from avant-garde British filmmaker Derek Jarman is a mélange of music-video sensibilities (featuring music and performances by Siouxsie and the Banshees, Adam and the Ants, Brian Eno, and others) and historical realism, thoroughly steeped in the anarchistic fury, fashion, and dissent of late 1970s England. A sort of postmodern fairy tale, Jarman's film revels in the nihilistic, decadent world of its motley antiheroes. In 1578, Queen Elizabeth I (Jenny Runacre) asks court magician Dee (Richard O'Brien) to give her a vision of "the shadow of her time." Dee invokes the angel Ariel (David Haughton), an androgynous gothic sprite who transports them to the Great Britain of the future--a post-Thatcherian wasteland where civilization has come to a halt. The streets are roamed by a band of violent punks, including the queen's sadistic alter ego, Bod (also played by Runacre), historian Amyl Nitrate (Malcolm McClaren's sex shop protégé, Jordan), pyromaniac Mad (Toyah Willcox), sex-obsessed actress Crabs (Little Nell), and incestuous brothers Sphinx (Karl Johnson) and Angel (Ian Charleson). Together they wreak havoc on London while competing for attention from maniacal media mogul Borgia Ginz (Orlando), who owns everything--including Buckingham Palace.
Director Derek Jarman's unique vision of late-1970s England features an angel transporting Queen Elizabeth and her court magician from 1578 into the future. What they find is a violent wasteland where civilization has completely broken down.
Derek Jarman Collection (Sebastian / The Tempest / War...
$61.67 Super Savings
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 22 ratings.
Based on 22 ratings.
Be the first Movie Lover to write an online review of this product!
Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars: The Motion Picture (DVD)
$28.03 Super Savings
Michael Schenker Group - World Wide Live 2004 (DVD)
$14.81 Super Savings
All-American Co-Ed (1941) / Swing Hostess (1944) (DVD)
Top ranking DVD:
- The Decade You Were Born: The 40s - A Decade of War & Invention (DVD) ~ $1.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 60s - A Decade of Hope & Promise (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- The Decade You Were Born: The 50s - A Decade of Change in America (DVD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- WWII - Eagle Against the Sun: 10-Part Series of the War with Japan (2-DVD) ~ $4.98 on SALE
- Sons of Kong: 10 Full-Length Movies on 3-DVDs (3D Pop-Up Case) ~ $1.98 on SALE