- Rated: Unrated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 26 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: April 29, 2003
- Originally Released: 1952
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital Mono - Italian
- Additional Release Material:
- Brunella Bovo - Star
- Leopoldo Trieste - Star
- Moraldo Rossi - Director's Friend
- Critical Analysis by Jonathan Rosenbaum - Film Critic
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 08/01/2007
"Fellini's first feature as solo director is a warmhearted and well-observed comedy about a naive couple on an ill-starred honeymoon in Rome."
A friendly satire in which a honeymooning bride, dazzled by glamour and illusion, escapes the frightening security of her future by running off with a photo-novel actor who portrays a seductive "White Sheik," but soon finds insidious reality sneaking into her romantic fantasy.
A pair of small town newlyweds travels to Rome for their honeymoon. Once there, the blushing bride finds unexpected glamour, adventure and romance -- but, unfortunately, it's not with her husband. It just so happens that her soap-opera hero, known to his fans as The White Sheik, is on a photo shoot in The Eternal City. And his larger-than-life ways soon turn her boring, sensible world upside down.
Period Piece |
- The print used for the Home Vision Cinema VHS version is from the Janus Collection.
- Produced by Luigi Rovere.
- Distributed by PDC.