- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 31 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 19, 2001
- Originally Released: 1972
- Label: Criterion
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case
- Single Side - Dual Layer - RSDL
- Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.66
- Aspect Ratio: Letterbox - 1.66
- Additional Release Material:
- Production Interviews: Ingmar Bergman - Director, Erland Josephson - Collaborator
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Academy Awards 1973 -
Best Cinematography: Sven Nykvist
USA Today - 10/01/1993
"...[A] morbidly beautiful drama..."
Essential Cinema |
Tear Jerker |
- Theatrical release: December 21, 1972.
- Filmed on location at Taxinge-Näsby estate, Mariefred, Sweden.
- Roger Corman's independent company New World Films bought the distribution rights to CRIES AND WHISPERS after every major American studio approached by Bergman had turned the film down.
- Bergman has stated that CRIES AND WHISPERS is the only film of his to which color is essential, the predominant color red being symbolic of the human soul.
- On the soundtrack, Chopin's Mazurka in A minor, no. 4, opus 17, is performed by Käbi Laretei; Bach's Sarabande no. 5 in D minor is performed by Pierre Fournier.
- Winner of the 1972 National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Script and Best Photography.
- Winner of the 1972 New York Critics Award for Best Film, Best Script, Best Director, and Best Actress (Liv Ullmann).
- Winner of the 1973 National Board of Review Award for Best Direction.
- Winner of the 1973 Swedish Guldbagge Award for Best Actress (Harriet Andersson).