Eddie Fisher Sings Academy Award Winning Songs / Sings Irving Berlin Favorites (Plus Bonus Tracks)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$10.38 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$6.59 (39% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- Original Album #1: RCA LOC-1024 (1955)
- Original Album #2: RCA EPA-561 (1954)
- Original Album #3: RCA EPA-561 (Bonus Tracks) (1954)
Description by OLDIES.com:
On this release, Fisher is backed by Axel Stordahl's Orchestra & Chorus (tracks 1-22) and Hugo Winterhalter & His Orchestra (tracks 23-34). This reissue also features four bonus tracks from the 1954 "Broadway Classics" EP.
- 1.The Continental (From "The Gay Divorcee")
- 2.Lullaby Of Broadway (From "Gold Diggers Of 1935")
- 3.The Way You Look Tonight (From "Swing Time")
- 4.Sweet Leilani (From "Waikiki Wedding")
- 5.Thanks For The Memory (From "Big Broadcast Of 1938")
- 6.Over The Rainbow (From "The Wizard Of Oz")
- 7.When You Wish Upon A Star (From "Pinocchio")
- 8.The Last Time I Saw Paris (From "Lady Be Good")
- 9.White Christmas (From "Holiday Inn")
- 10.You'll Never Know (From "Hello, Frisco, Hello")
- 11.Swinging On A Star (From "Going My Way")
- 12.It Might As Well Be Spring (From "State Fair")
- 13.On The Atchison, Topeka And Santa Fe (From "The Harvey Girls")
- 14.Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah (From "Song Of The South")
- 15.Buttons And Bows (From "The Paleface")
- 16.Baby, It's Cold Outside (From "Neptune's Daughter")
- 17.Mona Lisa (From "Captain Carey, U.S.A.")
- 18.In The Cool, Cool, Cool Of The Evening (From "Here Comes The Groom")
- 19.High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me, Oh My Darlin') (From "High Noon")
- 20.Secret Love (From "Calamity Jane")
- 21.Three Coins In The Fountain (From "Three Coins In The Fountain")
- 23.With You
- 24.How About Me?
- 25.How Deep Is The Ocean
- 26.When I Leave The World Behind
- 27.Cheek To Cheek
- 28.They Say It's Wonderful (From "Annie Get Your Gun")
- 29.All By Myself
- 31.And This Is My Beloved (From "Kismet")
- 32.Alone Too Long (From "By The Beautiful Sea")
- 33.Lazy Afternoon (From "The Golden Apple")
- 34.Lost In Loveliness (From "The Girl In Pink Tights")
2 LPs on 1 CD: SINGS ACADEMY AWARD WINNING SONGS (1955)/SINGS IRVING BERLIN FAVORITES (1954)/BROADWAY CLASSICS EP (1954).
Personnel includes: Eddie Fisher (vocals); Alex Stordahl & His Orchestra; Hugo Winterhaler & His Orchestra.
Recorded between 1953 & 1956. Originally released on RCA (1024), RCA (3122) & RCA (561).
Liner Note Author: Robert Rice.
Recording information: 02/06/1953-02/29/1956.
This discount-priced compilation combines Eddie Fisher recordings originally released in three different formats. Sequenced out of chronological order, the first of them, tracks 23-30, made up the eight-track, 10" LP Irving Berlin Favorites, recorded and originally released in 1953. Here, Fisher essays a series of Berlin evergreens dating back to the 1910s. Their simple melodies and words provide him with a good basis for his vocal flights, though he calms down a little to sing the more playful "Cheek to Cheek." Broadway Classics, a four-song EP from 1954 billed as the compilation's "bonus tracks," does not contain four standards from the Great White Way, but rather four songs taken from Broadway musicals of 1953-1954, three of them flops. "And This Is My Beloved" from Kismet will be remembered by theater music fans, and "Lazy Afternoon" from The Golden Apple has gone on to become a semi-standard, but the EP turned out to be inaccurately titled. The disc's first 22 tracks made up the 1955 release Eddie Fisher Sings Academy Award Winning Songs, an ambitious effort on which Fisher not only sang abbreviated versions of all 21 Oscar best-song victors up to that time, but also provided a running commentary on them. Most of these songs have gone on to become standards, so it is a treat getting to hear Fisher sing them. But the spoken "continuity" wears out its welcome before you've heard it through once. Unfortunately, there wouldn't have been any way for Collectables to segment the remarks on the CD so that a modern listener could program a player to skip them; they are too closely matched to the songs. So, what might have been a memorable collection ends up being tiresome. This is not an Eddie Fisher hits set, but it gives him the chance to sing higher-quality material. ~ William Ruhlmann
Eddie FisherEddie Fisher Sings / I'm In The Mood For Love / Christmas... (CD)
$8.82 Super Savings
Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD...
$7.98 Super Savings
Eddie Fisher Sings / I'm In The Mood For Love / Christmas... (CD)
$8.82 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 8 ratings.
Based on 8 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 58,305
- UPC: 090431283226
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Question Mark & The Mysterians (New Stereo Recordings) (CD)
$8.82 Super Savings
The Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company: Simon Says (CD)
The Best of ? And The Mysterians (Cameo Parkway) (CD)
$11.02 Super Savings
101 Strings Orchestra Treasury of Christmas (3-CD) ~
$7.87 Super Savings
10cc The Very Best of 10cc [Import] (CD) ~
$15.66 Super Savings
The 12th Man The Very Best of Richie (CD) ~
$19.56 Super Savings
1910 Fruitgum Co. Best of the 1910 Fruitgum Company [Repertoire] (CD) ~
$11.54 Super Savings
The 1975 I Like It When You Sleep (CD) ~
$30.20 Super Savings
Pop Vocal: Classic Music Categories:
Edie Adams There's So Much More (CD) ~
$7.02 Super Savings
Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~
$7.78 Super Savings
The Ames Brothers Hello Italy! / Knees Up! Mother Brown (And Other Funny Songs) (CD) ~
$8.78 Super Savings
The Ames Brothers Together (2-CD) ~
$20.36 Super Savings
The Ames Brothers The Very Best of the Ames Brothers (CD) ~
$22.36 Super Savings