Peter Tosh Legalize It [Legacy Edition] (2-CD)
|You Save:||$0.50 (3% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Number of Discs: 2
- Released: June 21, 2011
- Label: Sony
Spin - p.80"On 1976's LEGALIZE IT, he brashly mixed pro-ganja agitprop and Rasta musings..."
CMJ - 7/19/99, pp.27,35"...among the most crucial reggae albums ever released....LEGALIZE IT prevails to this day as one of the all-time great stoner records, due to its rabidly expressive advocation of the spiritual and mystical wonders of ganja..."
Mojo (Publisher) - p.1204 stars out of 5 -- "The sublime LEGALIZE IT predominantly showcases his spiritual and mischievous aspects, though even here an inescapable melancholy pervades."
Uncut (magazine) - p.843 stars out of 5 -- "[T]here are some appealing, rare dub plates..."
Tracks on Disc 1:
- 1.Legalize It
- 3.Whatcha Gonna Do
- 4.No Sympathy
- 5.Why Must I Cry
- 6.Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised)
- 7.Ketchy Shuby
- 8.Till Your Well Runs Dry
- 9.Brand New Second Hand
- 10.Legalize It [Demo]
- 11.No Sympathy [Demo]
- 12.Why Must I Cry [Demo]
- 13.Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised) [Demo]
- 14.Ketchy Shuby [Demo]
- 15.Till Your Well Runs Dry [Demo]
- 16.Brand New Second Hand [Demo]
Tracks on Disc 2:
- 1.Legalize It [Original Mix]
- 2.Burial [Original Mix]
- 3.Whatcha Gonna Do [Original Mix]
- 4.No Love, No Sympathy [Original Mix]
- 5.Why Must I Cry [Original Mix]
- 6.Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised) [Original Mix]
- 7.Ketchy Shuby [Original Mix]
- 8.Till Your Well Runs Dry [Original Mix]
- 9.Brand New Second Hand [Original Mix]
- 10.Legalize It [Alternate Version] - (alternate take)
- 11.Burial [Dub Version]
- 12.Whatcha Gonna Do [Shajahshoka Dub Version]
- 13.Igziabeher (Let Jah Be Praised) [Shajahshoka Dub Version]
- 14.Second Hand [Shajahshoka Dub Version]
- 15.Burial [Dub Version]
- 16.Legalize It [Dub Version]
Personnel: Peter Tosh (vocals, guitar, keyboards); Al Anderson, Donald Kinsey (guitar); Robbie & Ras Lee (harp); Tyrone Downey (keyboards); Aston "Family Man" Barrett, Robbie Shakespeare (bass); Carlton Barrett, Santa (drums); Rita Marley, Judy Mowatt, Bunny Wailer (background vocals).
Recorded in 1976. Includes liner notes by Roger Steffens.
Personnel: Peter Tosh (guitar, keyboards, background vocals); Al Anderson (guitar); Ras Lee, Robbie Shakespeare (harp); Tyrone Downie (keyboards); Carlton Barrett (drums); Judy Mowatt, Rita Marley, Bunny Wailer (background vocals).
Liner Note Authors: Lee Jaffe; Roger Steffens.
Photographers: Adrian Boot; Lee Jaffe.
Arranger: Peter Tosh.
After spending 12 years as a member of Bob Marley's Wailers, Peter Tosh was eager to break free from the shadow of the legendary frontman. In 1976, he released LEGALIZE IT, still one of the most significant albums in the history of reggae. The title track expresses one of Tosh's many political causes, justifying the legalization of marijuana as a remedy for various medical ailments. "Burial" is one of several tracks that features the talents of the Wailers' stand-out lead guitarist, Al Anderson.
Tosh adds his own seasoning to the reggae pot as he incorporates keyboards in "Whatcha Gonna Do" and synthesizers and sound effects on "Igziabeher." "Ketchy Shuby," a sing-along about fooling around, features the background vocal talents of Rita Marley, Bunny Wailer, and Judy Mowatt. Tosh's life ended too early, and LEGALIZE IT is the strongest testament to his legacy. Take a listen, and share the spirit of his genius.
Dance Classics: Original Hits & Video Clips [Import] (DVD)
Out of StockSave for Later
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Sounds of The Fabulous Fifties (Limited Distribution) (3-CD Box Set) ~ $8.48 LABOR DAY
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - JukeBox Giants, Volume 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE