- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 2 hours, 16 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: November 9, 2010
- Originally Released: 1959
- Label: Turner Classic Movie
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Commentary by Screenwriter Ernest Lehman
- Dual Layer
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo - English, French
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English, French
- Subtitles - English, French
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Total Film - 03/01/2000
"...NORTH BY NORTHWEST is sequence after sequence of breathlessly exciting and amusing entertainment..." -- 5 out of 5 stars
USA Today - 09/01/2000
"...One of Alfred Hitchcock's most durable entertainments..."
Entertainment Weekly - 01/11/2002
"...The master's greatest toy..."
Premiere - 12/01/2003
"...NORTH BY NORTHWEST is the paragon for every action caper that's followed."
NORTH BY NORTHWEST is a suspense thriller that finds Cary Grant in the role of Roger Thornhill, a Manhattan advertising executive mistaken for a spy. Considered by many to be the prototypical pure action movie (creating the template for later James Bond and Indiana Jones films), the film is a cross-country roller-coaster ride with Alfred Hitchcock at the helm. The film is duly famous for several classic and indelible scenes, including the desert biplane encounter and the Mt. Rushmore climax. The original title was THE MAN IN LINCOLN'S NOSE, which was replaced by a reference to a line from William Shakespeare's HAMLET (in which Hamlet says, "I am but mad north-north-west."). The magical combination of Hitchcock and the debonair Grant--who made four wonderful films together--makes NORTH BY NORTHWEST a suspense-filled standout.
When Thornhill finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, the world as he knows it comes to an end. Suddenly danger threatens as the hapless businessman is targeted as an American intelligence agent and set up as a killer. All of Thornhill's attempts to straighten things out only make matters worse--and soon the desperate man is on the run from murderous foreign operatives, the CIA, and the police. The supporting cast, including Eva Marie Saint, James Mason, and Martin Landau, is uniformly excellent.
- Hitchcock cameo: The director can be seen missing a bus at the opening.
- Shot in studios and on location on Long Island, New York, and in Chicago, Rapid City, and South Dakota.
- Ernest Lehman received the Edgar Allan Poe Award for Best Screenplay of 1959.
- NORTH BY NORTHWEST is number 40 on the American Film Institute's list of America's 100 Greatest Movies.
- NORTH BY NORTHWEST was added to the Library of Congress National Film Registry in 1995.
- In 2001, Ernest Lehman received the first honorary Academy Award ever presented to a screenwriter.