John Gary Catch A Rising Star / Encore
|LABOR DAY SALE:||$11.03 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.94 (35% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- 1.This Is All I Ask
- 2.My Kind Of Girl
- 3.Once Upon A Time
- 4.Till The Birds Sing In The
- 5.Your Cheatin' Heart
- 6.Yellow Bird
- 7.Unchained Melody
- 8.Half As Much
- 10.Possum Song
- 11.Somewhere Along The Way
- 12.Ebb Tide
- 13.Tender Is The Night (From "Tender Is The Night")
- 14.Anywhere I Wander (From "Hans Christian Andersen")
- 15.Melodie D'Amour (Melody Of Love)
- 16.And This Is My Beloved (From "Kismet")
- 17.Ol' Man River (From "Show Boat")
- 18.Stella By Starlight (From "The Uninvited")
- 19.Take Me In Your Arms
- 20.Far Away Places
- 21.A Beautiful Thing
- 23.(It's Been) Grand Knowing You (From "She Loves Me")
- 24.Stranger In Paradise (From "Kismet")
2 LPs on 1 CD: CATCH A RISING STAR (1963)/ENCORE (1964).
Originally released on RCA.
Recording information: 08/01/1963-09/17/1963.
Arranger: Marty Gold.
This discount two-fer appropriately pairs John Gary's first two RCA Victor albums, Catch a Rising Star and Encore, the former recorded at sessions in July and August 1963, the latter immediately after, in September and October. The 30-year-old Gary had kicked around in the music business for years without catching fire, perhaps because he was equally interested in his diving company, perhaps because the record labels weren't looking for a new traditional pop singer in the early rock & roll age. When RCA finally took the plunge, it was only months before the Beatles redefined the pop landscape. Nevertheless, Gary demonstrates the wisdom of the decision on these tracks. A tenor, he has a remarkably wide range and (maybe due to all that underwater work) terrific breath control. Yet he rarely oversings, even when he is drifting without seeming effort into his falsetto voice. The Catch a Rising Star selections (tracks one through 12) are more of a showcase for his versatility, taking in folk, country, and Caribbean elements; utilizing unusual arrangements such as a surprisingly spare and restrained "Unchained Melody"; and even allowing Gary one of his own compositions, the playful "Possum Song." With Encore (tracks 13-24), a deliberate effort seems to have been made to offer a more solid, impressive sense of Gary's talent, and he covers more established standards in more formal arrangements. He certainly survives this maturation process, but there are a lot of people who sing "Stranger in Paradise" more or less the same way, so he comes off not quite as individually as he did on his label debut. Together, however, the two albums give a very good sense of the well-developed abilities Gary presented at the start of his national career. ~ William Ruhlmann
Percy FaithMore Themes For Young Lovers / Latin Themes For Young Lovers (CD)
$9.33 LABOR DAY
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 13 ratings.
Based on 13 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 16,188
- UPC: 090431280522
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
Pop Vocal Music Categories:
- Hugh "Peanuts" Whalum Peanuts Whalum (CD) ~ $11.68
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- Beegie Adair Moments To Remember (CD) ~ $10.54 LABOR DAY
- Beegie Adair Some Enchanted Evening (CD) ~ $10.78
- Margie Adam Naked Keys (CD) ~ $20.10
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.07 LABOR DAY
- The Aces Combo Introducing The Aces Combo (CD) ~ $5.52 LABOR DAY