- Rated: R
- Run Time: 2 hours, 11 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: June 7, 2011
- Originally Released: 1980
- Label: Severin
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Note: Audio commentary with writer/director Richard Rush and stars Peter O'Toole, Steve Railsback, Barbara Hershey, Alex Rocco, Sharon Farrell, and Chuck Bail
- Peter O'Toole recounts The Stunt Man - exclusive new featurette
- Theatrical trailer
- Deleted scenes
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
Performers, Cast and Crew:
New York Times - 10/17/1980
"The gamesmanship of THE STUNT MAN is fast and furious....[O'Toole delivers lines] magnificently..."
USA Today - 11/23/2001
"Director Richard Rush's unique moviemaking saga is one of the consummate screen treats of its day..."
Entertainment Weekly - 11/16/2001
"...Director Richard Rush's reissued cult fave is both a paranoia film and a Hollywood satire, each element reinforcing the other in an antic show of gamesmanship..."
Sight and Sound - 04/03/2003
Wall Street Journal - 06/10/2011
"[A] sensationally original film....The structure is trompe l'oeil -- what's reality, what's illusion -- and the dominant mood is paranoia..."
On the run from cops, Cameron finds refuge with Eli Cross, a psychotic film director. Eli takes advantage of the fugitive's desperation by using as a stunt man in extremely dangerous scenes. Excited by his new profession and its financial rewards, Cameron makes the production his home. He falls for the picture's female star but soon suspects that she is involved with Eli. Eventually Cameron starts to believe that Eli is out to kill him for the sake of a once in a lifetime stunt.
Essential Cinema |
Stunt People |
Theatrical Release |
- Theatrical Release: June 27, 1980.