Ann-Margret Bachelor's Paradise / On The Way Up
|You Save:||$3.99 (24% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- by Ann-Margret ~ And Here She Is Again: 1961-1962 (2-CD) ~ $25.88
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2002
- Label: Collectables Records
- 1.Bachelor In Paradise
- 2.I Wanna Be Loved
- 3.Something To Remember
- 5.Lovin' Spree
- 6.You Took Advantage Of Me
- 7.Let Me Entertain You
- 8.Never On Sunday
- 9.Romance In The Dark
- 10.Call Me Darling
- 11.Hold Me
- 12.Mr. Wonderful
- 13.Oh, Lonesome Me
- 16.What Do You Want From Me
- 17.Heartbreak Hotel
- 18.I Just Don't Understand
- 19.His Ring
- 20.Could It Be?
- 21.What Am I Supposed To Do
- 22.Let Me Go, Lover!
- 23.Moon River
- 24.My Last Date (With You)
2 LPs on 1 CD: BACHELOR'S PARADISE (1962)/ON THE WAY UP (1961).
Personnel includes: Ann-Margret (vocals); Hank Levine (arranger).
Producers: Steve Sholes, Chet Atkins, Dick Pierce.
Originally released on RCA (2659) & RCA (2453). Includes liner notes by Al Fichera.
Liner Note Authors: Hank Levine; Al Fichera.
Arranger: Hank Levine.
This discount-priced two-fer combines two of the five solo albums Ann-Margret recorded for RCA Victor Records during the 1960s, her fourth, Bachelors' Paradise (1963), followed by her second, On the Way Up (1962). The albums seem to have been chosen and sequenced as they were to provide a contrast, giving a sense of the different musical approaches Ann-Margret took during her recording career. That career to a back seat to her film acting, making it somewhat scattershot, even though it started promisingly (and prior to her movie work). In September 1961, she hit the Top 20 with the bluesy "I Just Don't Understand," featured on On the Way Up, and RCA Victor tried to position her as a female Elvis Presley, even having her cut "Heartbreak Hotel." That's the kind of material you hear on tracks 13-24 here, and though the singer isn't really a convincing rocker, her interpretations are so characteristically sexy that it doesn't much matter. Around the time that On the Way Up was released, Ann-Margret turned up on the Oscar telecast singing "Bachelor in Paradise," a traditional pop movie theme song, and Bachelors' Paradise, which leads off with that song, finds her fronting an orchestra on a collection of lush ballads, most of them vintage pop standards. She is credible in the role of pop chanteuse, conveying a more mature but just as affecting sexuality. By reversing the chronological order of the albums, Collectables makes it sound like the singer is going from 1950s-style pre-rock pop to 1960s-style pop/rock. That works fine as a listening experience. Ann-Margret could have been a much more successful recording artist than she was if she had given that aspect of her career more attention, and if she had ever figured out what kind of recording artist she wanted to be. ~ William Ruhlmann
Andy WilliamsDanny Boy / The Wonderful World of Andy Williams (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Ray ConniffTurn Around & Look At Me / I Love How You Love Me (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 6 ratings.
Based on 6 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 12,615
- UPC: 090431280027
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. Bubblegum Christmas (CD) ~ $8.43 on SALE
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- The Ad-Libs Ad-Libs & Friends (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Jerri Adams It's Cool Inside / Play For Keeps (CD) ~ $9.73 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3