- Rated: Not Rated
- Run Time: 1 hours, 7 minutes
- Video: Black & White
- Released: June 7, 2011
- Originally Released: 1932
- Label: Universal Studios
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono - English, Spanish
- Subtitles - French, Spanish
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Memorable Quotes and Dialog:
"You have the brain of a four-year-old child, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it."
- Professor Wagstaff (Groucho Marx)
"There's a man outside with a big black moustache." -- Chico (Chico Marx) to Wagstaff
"Tell him I've got one."
"You're a disgrace to our family name of Wagstaff, if such a thing is possible."
- Wagstaff to Zeppo (Zeppo Marx)
"Four years before my son was born
I used to yell from night till morn
Whatever it is - I'm against it!
And I've been yelling since I first commenced it - I'm against it!"
"I soon dispose of all those,
Who put me on the pan.
Like Shakespeare said to Nathan Hale,
I always get my man."
The Marx Brothers parody college life in this gag-filled, fast-paced comedy. The fast-talking new president of Huxley College needs to scrounge up some top-flight ringers for his football team, but ends up with a bootlegger and a mute dog catcher instead. More laughs than most comedies (and smart laughs, at that), this script, coscripted by satirist SJ Perelman, is humor at its most clever.
Campus Life |
- Nat Pendleton, who plays "McCarthy," was a former Olympic wrestler.
- The Marx Brothers were apparently unhappy about performing their obligatory harp and piano musical interludes, which they felt slowed down the film and interfered with the comedy. The studio insisted on them, citing exhibitor demands.
- Film's original running time was 70 minutes.