The Poseidon Adventure (Special Edition) (2-DVD)
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$9.17 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$5.81 (39% Off)|
- All-new Audio Commentary by Director and Stars
- Interactive "Follow the Escape" with 3-D Views of the Ship
- 9 Featurettes
- Storyboard to Film Comparisons
- Trailer and Teaser
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 57 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 9, 2006
- Originally Released: 1972
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- 2-Disc Set
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Mono 2.0 - French, Spanish
- Stereo - English
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
Disc 1: THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE - Widescreen Version
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Additional Release Material:
- Featurette: "Follow The Escape"
- Audio Commentary: Ronald Neame - Director, Pamela Sue Martin, Stella Stevens, Carol Lynley - Stars
- Interactive Features:
Disc 2: THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE - Supplemental Materials
- Additional Release Material:
- "The Cast Looks Back"
- "Falling Up with Ernie"
- "The Heart of Disaster: Stirling Silliphant"
- "The Heroes of The Poseidon"
- "The Morning After Story"
- "The R.M.S. Queen Mary"
- "AMC Backstory: The Poseidon Adventure"
- "Sinking Corridor"
- "Generations of Fans"
- "Turning Over the Ship"
- Vintage Promotional Materials: Original 1972 Featurette
- Original Teaser
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- THE TOWERING INFERNO
- Additional Interactive Features - American Cinematographer Interactive Article
- Storyboard Comparisons:
- "Ship Capsized"
- "Up The Vertical Shaft"
- "Saving Reverend Scott"
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Gene Hackman, Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Roddy McDowall, Pamela Sue Martin, Jack Albertson, Carol Lynley, Shelley Winters, Eric Shea, Leslie Nielsen & Stella Stevens|
|Performer:||Eric Shea, Stella Stevens, Leslie Nielsen, Fred Sadoff, Ernie F. Orsatti, Arthur O'Connell, Charles Bateman, Sheila Allen, Bob Hastings & John Crawford|
|Directed by||Ronald Neame|
|Edited by||Harold F. Kress|
|Screenwriting by||Stirling Silliphant & Wendell Mayes|
|Composition by||John Williams|
|Cinematography by||Harold E. Stine|
|Story by||Paul Gallico|
|Produced by||Irwin Allen|
"Winters won an Oscar nomination for pulling off the best moment in the best disaster flick ever."
"THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE has aged surprisingly well....The film's classical narrative contours come into sharper focus..."
4 stars out of 5 -- "[I]t digs in the hooks and won't let go..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Gene Hackman leads an all-star cast (including Jack Albertson, Ernest Borgnine, Red Buttons, Roddy McDowall, Stella Stevens and Shelley Winters) on a perilous journey through the upside-down "hell" of a capsized ocean liner - a terrifying death trap that only a few will survive.
- Born in London to photographer-father Elwin Neame and actress-mother Ivy Close, director-cinematographer Ronald Neame began his work in cinema as an assistant cameraman in the late 1920s. Neame's first picture was Alfred Hitchcock's BLACKMAIL, made in 1929. Neame worked closely with disaster-movie guru Irwin Allen, who helped direct many of the action sequences.
- In 1934, Neame made the leap to director of photography when he shot DRAKE OF ENGLAND. Four years later, Neame worked on PYGMALION, another noteworthy film of this decade. Neame went on to become a producer in the 1940s, making important contributions to British and American films.
- When Allen was first trying to get financing for the picture, he was met with much resistance; the project was referred to in Hollywood as Irwin's Folly. The five million dollars it cost to make the film was financed half by the studio and half by wealthy acquaintances of Allen's. The final film came in on schedule and under budget.
- The interior design of the ship was based on the Queen Mary.
- Nearly all the stunts by the stars were performed by the actors themselves. To prove one of the stunts could be done, Neame performed a major climb himself.
- Shelley Winters gained 35 pounds for her role and took swimming lessons to perfect her part.
- The sequel, BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, made in 1979, offered an alternative ending to THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.
- THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE won an Oscar for visual effects and for the song "A Morning After" and was nominated for several others.
- L.B. Abbott and A.D. Flowers won a Special Achievement Oscar for their visual effects; that year the rules had changed so that this award, which formerly had been a regular Oscar handed out each year, would be given only when merited.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 195 ratings.
- Sales Rank: 5,461
- UPC: 024543231653
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 2 items
Memorial Day: 10am-6pm
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.