The Towering Inferno
|You Save:||$1.50 (10% Off)|
- Audio & Scene-Specific Commentary by Cast & Crew
- 9 Featurettes: Inside The Tower: We Remember, Innovating Tower: The SPFX Of An Inferno, The Art Of Towering, Irwin Allen: The Great Producer, Directing The Inferno, Putting Out Fire, Running On Fire, Still The World's Tallest Building & The Heart Of Disaster: Stirling Silliphant
- Over 30 Extended/Deleted Scenes
- AMC Backstory: "The Towering Inferno"
- Storyboard To Film Comparisons
- Nato Presentation Reel
- 3 Interactive Articles from American Cinemetographer
- Original "Making Of" Featurettes
- 1977 Irwin Allen Interview
- Photo Galleries...And More!
- Number of Discs: 2
- Rated: PG-13
- Run Time: 5 hours, 35 minutes
- Video: Color
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Released: May 9, 2006
- Originally Released: 1974
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- 2-Disc Set
- Special Edition
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Dolby Digital 4.0 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - English
- Mono - Spanish
- Subtitles - Spanish - Optional
Disc 1: THE TOWERING INFERNO - Widescreen Version
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 2.35
- Additional Release Material:
- Audio Commentary:
- F.X. Feeney - Film Historian
- Mike Venzina - Special Effects Director, Branko Racki - Stunt Coordinator (Specific Scenes)
Disc 2: THE TOWERING INFERNO - Supplemental Materials
- Additional Release Material:
- "Inside the Tower: We Remember"
- "Innovating Tower: The SPFX of An Inferno"
- "The Art of Towering"
- "Irwin Allen: The Great Producer"
- "Directing the Inferno"
- "Putting Out Fire"
- "Running On Fire"
- "Still The Worlds Tallest Building"
- "The Heart of Disaster: Stirling Silliphant"
- "AMC Backstory: THE TOWERING INFERNO"
- Lobby Cards
Performers, Cast and Crew:
|Starring||Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, William Holden, Robert Vaughn, Faye Dunaway, O.J. Simpson, Jennifer Jones & Fred Astaire|
|Performer:||Susan Blakely, Sheila Allen, Susan Flannery, Ernie F. Orsatti, Felton Perry, Norman Burton, Jack Collins, Dabney Coleman, Don Gordon, Robert Vaughn, Faye Dunaway, William Holden, O.J. Simpson, Jennifer Jones, Mike Lookinland & Fred Astaire|
|Directed by||Irwin Allen & John Guillermin|
|Edited by||Harold F. Kress & Carl Kress|
|Composition by||John Williams|
|Art Direction by||Ward Preston|
|Produced by||Irwin Allen & Stirling Silliphant|
|Director of Photography:||Fred J. Koenekamp & Joseph F. Biroc|
"...One of the best movies of its type ever made..."
"Disaster master Irwin Allen's thrilling Best Picture nominee is overflowing with classic instances of historical import..."
Description by OLDIES.com:
Paul Newman, Steve McQueen, William Holden, and Faye Dunaway blaze a trail of action and suspense in this 1974 Oscar-winning (Cinematography, Editing, Best Song) escape adventure about a sky-high building dedication ceremony that turns deadly when faulty wiring ignites a raging fire below!
During a celebratory party full of wealthy movers and shakers, the tower bursts into flames, and chaos erupts as the raging force of nature envelopes the structure. A courageous fire captain on the outside and the desperate architect trapped inside struggle to save the guests from the fire created by their greedy manipulations.
- Warner Brothers, which owned Richard Martin Stern's "The Tower," and 20th Century Fox, which owned Thomas N. Scotia and Frank Robinson's "The Glass Inferno," joined artistic and financial forces to produce this film. It cost approximately $14 million to make and made $55 million in domestic release and $150 million worldwide.
- Color by DeLuxe; shot in Panavision.
- 200 stunts were performed by 100 stunt doubles; however stars Steve McQueen and Paul Newman both preferred to do their own stunt work, including the last one where they were tied down along with the rest of the guests, and millions of gallons of water were released on top of them.
- Additional cast: Elizabeth Rogers (Lady in Buoy), Ann Leicester (Guest), Norman Grabowski (Flaker), Olan Soule (Johnson), Carlena Gower (Angela Allbright), Carol McEvoy (Mrs. Allbright), Paul Comi (Tim), George Wallace (Chief Officer), Patrick Culliton (Technician), Erik Nelson (Wes), and Art Ballinger (Announcer).
- Additional credits: Orville Hallbert (camera operator action sequences), Ted Keep (scoring mixer), Don White and Phil Ball (assistant directors), Vanderveer Photo Effects (opticals), and Pacific Title (titles).
- The producers gratefully acknowledged the cooperation of:
San Francisco Fire Department
San Francisco Board of Fire Commissioners
Keith P. Calden, Chief of San Francisco Fire Dept.
Los Angeles City Fire Department
Los Angeles City Board of Fire Commissioners
Raymond M. Hill, Chief of Los Angeles Fire Dept.
- Dedication: To those who give their lives so that others might live -- to the fire fighters of the world - this picture is gratefully dedicated.
- "The Towering Inferno" was actress Jennifer Jones' last screen appearance.
- The laserdisc version includes the original theatrical trailer.
Movie Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
© 2017 OLDIES.com and its affiliates and partner companies. All rights reserved.