The Apple Tree [Original Broadway Cast]
by Various Artists
|You Save:||$0.79 (10% Off)|
Temporarily Out of Stock: We'll get more as soon as possible
- by Various Artists ~ Dear World [Original Broadway Cast] ~ $7.19
- by Various Artists ~ I Do! I Do! (1966 Original Broadway Cast) ~ $8.29
- by Various Artists ~ On a Clear Day You Can See Forever [Original Broadway Cast] ~ $8.29
- by Soundtrack ~ She Loves Me [Original Broadway Cast Album] ~ $9.72
- Released: November 24, 1992
- Originally Released: 1992
- Label: Sony
- 1.Eden Prelude
- 2.Here In Eden
- 6.Apple Tree, The (Forbidden Fruit)
- 7.Beautiful, Beautiful World
- 8.It's A Fish
- 9.Go To Sleep, Whatever You Are
- 10.What Makes Me Love Him? / Eden Postlude
- 11.The Lady Or The Tiger? Prelude / I'll Tell You A Truth / Make Way
- 12.Forbidden Love
- 13.Apple Tree, The (Reprise)
- 14.I've Got What You Want
- 15.Tiger, Tiger
- 16.Make Way (Reprise) / Which Door? / I'll Tell You A Truth (Reprise)
- 17.Passionella Prelude
- 18.Oh, To Be A Movie Star
- 20.Who Is She?, (Who, Who, Who, Who)
- 21.I Know
- 23.You Are Not Real
- 24.Passionella Postlude / Finale
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Principal cast: Alan Alda, Barbara Harris, Larry Blyden, Robert Klein, Marc Jordan.
Engineers: Fred Plaut, Larry Keyes, Robert Waller.
Recorded at Columbia Records 30th Street Studio, New York on October 23, 1966. Includes liner notes and plot synopsis by Marc Kirkeby in English, German, French and Italian.
All music written by Jerry Bock and Sheldon Harnick.
THE APPLE TREE opened at the Shubert Theater in New York on October 18, 1966 and ran 463 performances, closing on November 25, 1967. The plot consists of three separate stories (THE DIARY OF ADAM AND EVE, THE LADY OR THE TIGER and PASSIONELLA), based on works by Mark Twain, Frank R. Stockton, and Jules Feiffer.
Lyricist: Sheldon Harnick.
Personnel: Michael Davis , Jay Norman, Mary Louise, Jaclynn Villamil, Larry Blyden, Barbara Harris, Carmen Alvarez, Alan Alda, Marc Jordan, Robert Klein (vocals).
Liner Note Author: Marc Kirkeby.
Recording information: Columbia Recording Studio (10/23/1966).
Photographer: Sandy Speiser.
Translators: Anna Saxon-Forti; Genevieve Haines.
Songwriters and librettists Jerry Bock And Sheldon Harnick followed their once-in-a-lifetime success with Fiddler On The Roof by writing The Apple Tree, an experimental musical that adapted three short stories, Mark Twain's "The Diary Of Adam And Eve," Frank R. Stockton's "The Lady Or The Tiger?," and Jules Feiffer's "Passionella," each with a cast featuring Alan Alda, Barbara Harris, and Larry Blyden. There turned out to be little to tie the three tales together, although each was a love story with unconventional complications. The tone of the work varied from romantic to satiric even within each story, and the acting tended to be so precious and cloying that it was hard for the viewer (and now the listener) to have much emotional involvement. Nevertheless, a new show by the authors of the still-running Fiddler On The Roof probably couldn't have been a major flop, and The Apple Tree managed to run for over a year. The cast album reveals competent writing and particularly enthusiastic performances by Harris, though the only memorable song is "What Makes Me Love Him?," which has some of the funny, touching quality of Fiddler's "Do You Love Me?" ~ William Ruhlmann
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 27 ratings.
Based on 27 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)
$19.98 on SALE