- Released: June 5, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Verve
- 1.That's My Desire - (previously unreleased, alternate take, Vocal)
- 2.After You're Through - (previously unreleased, alternate take, Extended Version)
- 3.Tengo Tango - (previously unreleased)
- 4.Home At Last - (previously unreleased, alternate take, Vocal)
- 5.All About My Girl
- 6.There - (previously unreleased)
- 7.All The Way - (Vocal)
- 8.Why (Am I Treated So Bad)
- 9.What Do You Like - (previously unreleased, Stereo Single Edit)
- 10.Cottage For Sale - (previously unreleased, alternate take, Vocal)
- 11.Go On Now - (previously unreleased, alternate take)
- 12.For Once In My Life - (previously unreleased, alternate take, Vocal)
Personnel: James Brown (organ); Dee Felice Trio (vocals); Wallace Richardson, Les Buie, Jimmy Nolen (guitar); Bill Pittman, Alfonzo Kellum, Louis Shelton (guitars); David Parkinson, Ernie Watts, Nat Jones, Joe Romano (alto saxophone); Eldee Williams, Al "Brisco" Clark, Les Asch, Pete Christlieb, St. Clair Pinckney, Buddy Collette (tenor saxophone); Charles Carr, Maceo Parker, Jimmy Mulidore (baritone saxophone); Joe Dupars, Waymon Reed, Teddy Washington, Richard "Kush" Griffith, Robert Knight , Ron Harper, Al Aarons, John Audino, Chuck Finley, Tommy Porello, Mack Johnson, Ron Tooley (trumpet); Kenny Schroyer, Wilmer Milton, Fred Wesley, Jimmy Cleveland, Nick Dimaio, Bill Tole (trombone); Levi Rasbury (valve trombone); Frank Vincent, Alfred Ellis (piano); Bernard Odum, Al Lucas, Ray Brown , Sam Thomas , Lee Tucker (bass guitar); Clyde Stubblefield, Melvin Parker, Obie Williams, John Starks, Louie Bellson, Nat Kendrick, Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, Dee Felice (drums); Jack Arnold (percussion).
James Brown fans might wonder at the title and at the fact that this posthumous collection is issued on Verve, the classic jazz label, but one listen through these 12 cuts will answer any questions. The Godfather was the king of soul and the architect of funk, but he also had a yen for jazzier flavors, as this excellent swinging set demonstrates.
Brown helms dynamic takes on contemporary jazz tunes (Cannonball Adderley's "Tengo Tango" and Joe Zawinul's "Why (Am I Treated So Bad)," among others), as well as revitalizing much-loved standards like "That's My Desire." The material ranges through the 1960s and '70s, and features a number of alternate mixes and singles edits, some of which have never seen the light of day (making the set a must for Brown collectors).
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 3 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to
write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 39,890
- UPC: 602517346871
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item