Endless Highway: The Music of the Band
by Various Artists
Only 9 copies left
|You Save:||$1.90 (10% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: January 30, 2007
- Originally Released: 2007
- Label: Savoy Jazz
Spin - p.873.5 stars out of 5 -- "The Band were roots rockers before the term existed...[An] exquisite tribute the Americana pioneers..."
Entertainment Weekly - p.123"Steve Reynolds successfully repaints a masterpiece with his brooding 'Stage Fright'..." -- Grade: B+
Mojo (Publisher) - p.943 stars out of 5 -- "Lee Ann Womack serves up 'The Weight' with twang and three-part harmonies..."
- 1.This Wheel's on Fire - Guster
- 2.King Harvest - Bruce Hornsby
- 3.It Makes No Difference - My Morning Jacket
- 4.I Shall Be Released - Jack Johnson
- 5.Weight, The - Lee Ann Womack
- 6.Chest Fever - Widespread Panic
- 7.Up on Cripple Creek - Gomez
- 8.Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The - The Allman Brothers Band
- 9.Stage Fright - Steve Reynolds
- 10.Rag Mama Rag - Blues Traveler
- 11.Whispering Pines - Jakob Dylan / Lizz Wright
- 12.Acadian Driftwood - The Roches
- 13.Unfaithful Servant - Rosanne Cash
- 14.When I Paint My Masterpiece - Josh Turner
- 15.Life Is a Carnival - Trevor Hall
- 16.Look Out Cleveland - Jackie Greene
- 17.Rockin' Chair - Death Cab for Cutie
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Tributee: The Band.
Much of this Band tribute compilation is surprisingly good, from Guster's Byrds-tinged "This Wheel's on Fire" to Widespread Panic's energetic recreation of "Chest Fever." Jakob Dylan conjures memories of Richard Manuel on a visceral rendition of "Whispering Pines," and Roseanne Cash's "Unfaithful Servant" focuses on that song's sense of disbelieving betrayal, while old stagers like Blues Traveler and the Allman Brothers contribute loose yet reliable versions of "Rag Mama Rag" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down," respectively.
Though on an album with a cast list this big there are bound to be missteps (Gomez's fey, Brit-accented version of "Up on Cripple Creek" falls quite a few gin-and-tonics short of the hairy, moonshine-guzzling mountain-man feel of the original), the good points--such as Death Cab For Cutie's "Rocking Chair," which sounds tailor-made for Ben Gibbard's reedy, unusual voice--far outweigh the bad.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 31 ratings.
Based on 31 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
The Definitive Greatest Hits: Til the Last Shot's Fired... (CD)
$17.73 Super Savings
Country Top Hits of the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s (4-CD)(5)
$19.98 on SALE
Sings I Walk The Line / Sings Folsom Prison Blues (CD)(8)
$2.98 on SALE
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 80s: Groovin' Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duane Eddy Duane A Go Go Go / Duane Eddy Does Bob Dylan (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Doo Wop 45s On CD, Volume 3 ~ $1.98 on SALE