Perry Como TV Favorites
|You Save:||$8.48 (50% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- These recordings were all recorded in monaural only but they have been remastered from original premium quality sources with the utmost of care and released here in true mono without electronic manipulation of any kind. These recordings are truly representative of Perry's early pre-stereo recording career with many of his classic hits from the 1940s and popular standards from the early 1950s.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"TV Favorites" was Perry Como's first RCA Victor 10" format long-play album, recorded and originally released in March of 1952, and is featured here in combination with another early LP, "Supper Club Favorites", released shortly following. These early LPs contained only songs, in place of twelve, so this nostalgic collection contains a bonus of eight additional songs from Perry's first 12" format album "SO SMOOTH" which was recorded and released in 1955. With many of the songs from "Supper Club Favorites" dating back to the mid 1940s, this compilation is a nostalgic view of Perry's first real decade with the RCA Victor Records label for those who remember it. Perry's early radio and television shows were sponsored by Chesterfield cigarettes and broadcast three-times a week on the popular "Chesterfield Supper Club".
- 1.You'll Never Walk Alone
- 2.Black Moonlight
- 3.If There Is Someone Lovelier Than You
- 5.While We're Young
- 6.My Heart Stood Still
- 7.I Concentrate On You
- 8.Over The Rainbow
- 9.Prisoner Of Love
- 11.When You Were Sweet Sixteen
- 12.Far Away Places
- 13.Song Of Songs
- 14.'till The End Of Time
- 17.As Time Goes By
- 18.I've Got The World On A String
- 19.My Funny Valentine
- 20.For Me And My Gal
- 21.Breezin' Along With The Breeze
- 22.It's The Talk Of The Town
- 23.It Happened In Monterey
- 24.In The Still Of The Night
TV FAVORITES contains Perry Como's 1st two 10-inch 1952 RCA LPs: TV FAVORITES and SUPPER CLUB FAVORITES. In addition there are 8 bonus tracks from SO SMOOTH, Como's 1st 12-inch 1955 RCA LP.
Personnel includes: Perry Como (vocals); Mitchell Ayres Orchestra; Russ Case Orchestra; Henri Rene Orchestra; Ray Charles Singers.
Producers include: Hugo Winterhaler, Dave Kapp, Eli Oberstein, Joe Carlton.
Recorded in New York, New York between 1945 & 1955. Originally released on RCA (3013) & RCA (3044).
From 1948, when Columbia Records introduced the LP, to 1955, the dominant format for the 33 1/3 rpm disc was a 10" version that usually held eight tracks. As of 1955, the better-known 12" version came to the fore. RCA Victor Records, which initially opposed the LP, had given in by 1952, when its leading artist Perry Como issued several of the 10" albums. One was a newly recorded set called TV Favorites, a collection of song standards such as "You'll Never Walk Alone," "Summertime," and "Over the Rainbow." Another was a revamped version of his 1949 album of 78s, Supper Club Favorites (the Chesterfield Supper Club was the initial name of his radio and later television show). This one was a hits compilation featuring number one singles, like "Prisoner of Love," "'Till the End of Time," and "If," that Como had scored between 1945 and 1951. Collectables Records' 2001 CD compilation TV Favorites contains all eight tracks from both these original 10" LPs, plus eight tracks culled from Como's first 12" LP, 1955's So Smooth, for a 24-track collection running more than 73 minutes. The result is a good sampling of Como's early hits and his performances of some classic pop songs between 1945 and 1955. That said, the collection could have been better assembled. It would have made more sense to sequence the Supper Club Favorites tracks before the TV Favorites tracks to make the album roughly chronological. And rather than using the So Smooth tracks, it would have made more sense to use a third 10" album, A Sentimental Date With Perry Como. The earlier material presents Como as the belter he was in the 1940s and early '50s, while the 1955 recordings are much more in his relaxed style, and the difference is noticeable. ~ William Ruhlmann
Perry ComoSaturday Night With Mr. C / When You Come To The End of The... (CD)
$12.98 on SALE
Perry ComoThe Scene Changes (With the Anita Kerr Quartet) / Lightly... (CD)
$10.98 on SALE
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 2 ratings.
Based on 2 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
- Sales Rank: 20,911
- UPC: 090431276624
- Shipping Weight: 0.25/lbs (approx)
- International Shipping: 1 item
The Best of 20th Century Masters / Millennium Collection (CD)
$8.34 Super Savings
- 38 Special Extended Versions (Live) (CD) ~ $4.99 on SALE
- 45 RPM "Doo Wop & Acappella" Starlight Sessions (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- 49th Street 49th Street (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- The 5th Dimension Up Up and Away - The Encore Collection (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
- Gregory Abbott Rhyme & Reason (CD) ~ $5.97 on SALE
Collectables Records Labels:
- ? and The Mysterians 96 Tears (New Stereo Recording) / Midnight Hour (New Stereo Recording) (45) ~ $3
- 1910 Fruitgum Co. / Kasenetz-Katz Super Circus Indian Giver / Quick Joey Small (45) ~ $1 on SALE
- Faye Adams Herald Recordings (CD) ~ $6.49 on SALE
- Johnny Adams / Jeannie C. Riley Reconsider Me / Harper Valley PTA (45) ~ $3
- Johnny Adams Reconsider Me - A Golden Classics Edition (CD) ~ $9.98 on SALE