- Rated: PG
- Run Time: 1 hours, 29 minutes
- Video: Color
- Released: April 25, 2006
- Originally Released: 1995
- Label: 20th Century Fox
- Encoding: Region 1 (USA & Canada)
- Packaging: Keep Case - Sensormatic
- Single Side - Dual Layer
- Aspect Ratio: Full Frame - 1.33
- Aspect Ratio: Widescreen - 1.85
- Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
- Dolby Digital Surround - English, French
- Subtitles - English, Spanish - Optional
- Additional Release Material:
- Trailers: Theatrical Trailer
Performers, Cast and Crew:
Sight and Sound - 04/01/1996
USA Today - 01/12/1996
"...DUNSTON has a stylish art-deco design, flashes of quirky wit, [and] several priceless sight gags..."
Variety - 01/15/1996
"...It's a first-class stylish farce with a brisk pace and cool wit..."
Los Angeles Times - 01/12/1996
"...DUNSTON CHECKS IN is as light as a soufflé and just as delicious. Dunaway, a sparkling comedian, looks gorgeous..."
The usually competent manager (Jason Alexander) of a swanky hotel wants to take a vacation with his family, but when a jewel thief posing as a hotel critic checks in, the hotel's owner (Faye Dunaway) forces him to stay on. The manager watches helplessly as the jewel thief's orangutan checks in and wreaks havoc on his entire life. A fun, silly family movie with an excellent cast.
Widower Robert Grant is the manager of the tony Majestic Hotel, where he's raising his two sons. Robert's very nervous, because an inspector from a distinguished travel guide is due to arrive shortly, so everything MUST be perfect. But things go awry when a thief named Rutledge arrives at the hotel, and is mistaken for the inspector. Even more chaos ensues when Rutledge's assistant Dunston -- an adroit orangutan -- escapes from his cruel owner and befriends Robert's young son Kyle. With mistaken identities and simian hijinks turning the hotel upside-down, Robert's worst nightmare has just been realized.
So can he keep everything under control when the REAL inspector arrives'
- Released theatrically in the USA January 12, 1996.
- Color by DeLuxe.
- Additional cast: Sam (Dunston, the orangutan).
- Additional credits: Michael Morris Jr., James Dew, Mike Boxer, Bob Dunn (animal trainers).
- Rated BBFC PG by the British Board of Film Classification.