Perry Como So Smooth / We Get Letters
|You Save:||$3.99 (24% Off)|
Out of Print: Future availability is unknown
sku: COL 2764
- by Perry Como ~ One More Time (2-CD) ~ $16.50
- These two albums were remastered from premium quality monaural LP masters and handled with the utmost of care throughout their production.
- Released: March 14, 2006
- Originally Released: 2001
- Label: Collectables Records
Description by OLDIES.com:
"So Smooth" was Perry Como's first RCA Victor 12" long-play album, recorded and originally released in 1955. This was also Perry's first album recorded at Webster Hall, New York City, and his first album with the Ray Charles Singers who would support him
- 1.It's A Good Day
- 2.As Time Goes By
- 3.I've Got The World On A String
- 4.My Funny Valentine
- 5.For Me And My Gal
- 6.I Gotta Right To Sing The Blues
- 7.Breezin' Along With The Breeze
- 8.It's The Talk Of The Town
- 9.You Do Something To Me
- 10.It Happened In Monterey
- 11.One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)
- 12.In The Still Of The Night
- 13.Swinging Down The Lane
- 14.It's Easy To Remember
- 15.South Of The Border
- 16.That's What I Like
- 17.Honey, Honey (Bless Your Heart)
- 19.They Can't Take That Away From Me
- 21.I Had The Craziest Dream
- 22.'Deed I Do
- 23.Somebody Loves Me
- 24.Sleepy Time Gal
2 LPs on 1 CD: SO SMOOTH (1955)/WE GET LETTERS (1957).
Personnel includes: Perry Como (vocals); Mitchell Ayres Orchestra; Ray Cahrles Singers.
Recorded at Webster Hall, New York, New York between 1955 & 1957. Originally released on RCA (1085) & RCA (1463). Includes liner notes by Jack O'Brien.
Personnel: Tony Mottola (guitar, electric guitar); George Barnes (guitar); Reinhart Elster (harp); Harry Glickman, Solomon Deutsch, Harry Melnikoff, Felix Orlewitz, Tosha Samaroff, Sylvan Shulman, Zelly Smirnoff, Mac Ceppos, Maurice Hershaft, Jack Zayde (violin); Samuel Persoff, Howard Kay, Isadore Zir (viola); Abram Borodkin, Maurice Brown , Harvey Shapiro (cello); Harry Terrill, Stanley Webb , Abraham Richman, Philip Zolkind, Bernard Kaufman (saxophone); James Maxwell, Mel Solomon, Mel Davis (trumpet); John Barrows, James Buffington (French horn); Eddie Bert, John d'Agostino, Robert Byrne, Bart Varsalona (trombone); Henry Rowland (piano); Terry Snyder (drums).
Recording information: 06/18/1948-02/19/1957.
So Smooth from 1955 and We Get Letters from 1957 were Perry Como's first two albums to be recorded for the 12" LP format, so Collectables Records' pairing of the two on a single CD is appropriate. At the time, the album market was viewed as being entirely different from the singles market, so these recordings do not feature Como's hit singles of the period. In fact, their contents are a far cry from "Hot Diggity (Dog Ziggity Boom)" and the other novelties the singer was being required to turn out for the teenage singles market. Rather, the albums are carefully considered collections of classic pop songs. The 12 tracks that make up So Smooth somewhat belie the title, since Como is so animated on selections like the opener, Peggy Lee's "It's a Good Day," "I've Got the World on a String," and "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues." He is more restrained on ballads such as "As Time Goes By" and "My Funny Valentine," but his pleasure at getting to perform the works of Harold Arlen, Cole Porter, and Rodgers & Hart is palpable. Though the entire Mitchell Ayres Orchestra and, on three tracks, the Ray Charles Singers are employed, some selections, notably "You Do Something to Me," feature just Como with a rhythm section, and We Get Letters follows that pattern even further, using only a subset of the orchestra to allow the singer a far more personal approach to songs like George Gershwin's "They Can't Take That Away From Me" and "Somebody Loves Me." On these albums, Como bid to join competitors Frank Sinatra and Nat "King" Cole in the emerging album market. He never gave enough attention to LPs, but these releases demonstrate that he could have made a string of classic albums if he'd tried. ~ William Ruhlmann
Perry ComoSaturday Night With Mr. C / When You Come To The End of The... (CD)
$11.03 Super Savings
Perry ComoThe Scene Changes (With the Anita Kerr Quartet) / Lightly... (CD)
$9.33 Super Savings
Vic DamoneThat Towering Feeling! / On The Swingin' Side (CD)
$9.33 Super Savings
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 9 ratings.
Based on 9 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Jimmy Buffett Down To Earth / High Cumberland Jubilee (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists WCBS FM101.1 - Great Ladies of Rock & Roll - The 70s (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists Extreme Hits - The Sixties, Volume 2: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Various Artists History of Rock - The 60's, Part 1 (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE
- Jimmy McGriff Toast To Golden Classics (CD) ~ $2.98 on SALE