LOW STOCK: Only 2 copies left
|SUPER SAVINGS:||$11.39 Limited Time Only|
|You Save:||$2.59 (19% Off)|
Available: Usually ships in 1-3 business days
- Released: September 13, 2004
- Originally Released: 2004
- Label: Relapse
Rolling Stone - p.1203.5 stars out of 5 - "Mastodon are among the more stylistically diverse and accomplished of the new crop of indie metal bands."
Spin - p.120"This white whale of a record lashes methodical riffology to nimble-yet-brutal tunes..." - Grade: A
Alternative Press - p.1465 out of 5 - "[U]nstoppable riffs and throat-poaching from Neurosis' Scott Kelly and Clutch's Neil Fallon seal the deal like a harpoon in your blowhole."
CMJ - p.18"[I]t's like the Harley-Davidson of metal: lives to rock, and rocks to live."
- 1.Blood And Thunder - (with Mastadon)
- 2.I Am Ahab - (with Mastadon)
- 3.Seabeast - (with Mastadon)
- 4.Island - (with Mastadon)
- 5.Iron Tusk - (with Mastadon)
- 6.Megalodon - (with Mastadon)
- 7.Naked Burn - (with Mastadon)
- 8.Aqua Dementia - (with Mastadon)
- 9.Hearts Alive - (with Mastadon)
- 10.Joseph Merrick - (instrumental, with Mastadon)
Song previews provided courtesy of iTunes
Personnel: Neil Fallon, Scott Kelly (vocals); Phil Peterson (cello); Matt Bayles (organ); Br„nn Dailor, Troy Sanders, Brent Hinds, Bill Kelliher.
Audio Mixer: Matt Bayles.
Recording information: EK Studios, Seattle, WA (03/2004); Robert Lang Studios, Seattle, WA (03/2004); Studio Litho, Seattle, WA (03/2004).
Knowing that Mastodon is an offshoot of pioneering progressive post-hardcore band Today Is the Day may give prospective listeners a clue as to what awaits them on LEVIATHAN, but will probably not prepare them for the sheer metallic thrust and organic complexity of the Mastodon sound. Often recalling the most jaw-droppingly facile passages from Rush's 2112 mixed with the heaviest bits of Metallica's MASTER OF PUPPETS, the group's music is slightly less heady than that of peers Dillinger Escape Plan or Coalesce, but no less technically demanding. The difference may be Mastodon's obvious roots in metal rather than hardcore or emo; even the screaming vocals sound more like Slayer than Sick of It All. LEVIATHAN is at once serpentine and thundering, simultaneously positioning itself as one of the genre's most ambitious and accessible works, delivering 10 tracks that more than live up to the mammoth image suggested by the disc's MOBY DICK-inspired cover art and lyrics.
Music Lovers' Ratings & Reviews:
Based on 179 ratings.
Based on 179 ratings.
Be the first Music Lover to write an online review of this product!
Top ranking CD:
- Various Artists Absolute Hits - Top Hits of the 60s: 20 Original Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Top Hits of the 70s - Absolute Hits (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Rock & Roll Time Capsule, Volume 4 - Disc 2 (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Various Artists Ultimate Jukebox Hits of the 70s, Volume 4 & 5 (2-CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE
- Duke Ellington Duke's Mixture / At the Bal Masque (CD) ~ 99¢ on SALE